Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft MA5B rotor question  (Read 2650 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

I have found a Cushcraft MA5B yagi at a good price, but wonder if my rotor will handle it.  I have a Hy-Gain AR303 light duty rotor.  Can't really afford a bigger rotor at this time.  Will the light duty rotor handle the MA5B ok?  This rotor is similar to the TV type rotors that sell for $80 new or so.

73 John AF5CC
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »

The rotor will probably turn the antenna OK.  The problem might be will the rotor
stand up to winds banging the antenna around.  What choice do you have?  If you
want to rotate the MA5B then you must have a rotor or turn the antenna by hand.
Use the rotor you have and save your pennies for a bigger one if this one can't
stand the gaff.

Allen KA5N
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »

Purchase a TB-105 thrust bearing.  I got mine from R&L Electronics for around $25.  Works great with that rotator.  I have some info on my website (www.ad5x.com) on how to install that thrust bearing.

Phil - AD5X
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:38:20 AM »

OK, I just have it on a mast on a roof tripod.  Will it work ok on that?

John AF5CC
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »

A5DX's  thrust bearing plan will prevent damage to the rotor, unfortunately it does
add a degree of complication and extra fabrication.  Since you are using a tripod then
the worry is can the tripod take the extra weight.  You would be better off if the
assembly were bracketed to the side of the house.
Nothing is ever simple.
Allen KA5N
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »

Does the rotator need a thrust bearing with the light weight antenna? The thrust bearing takes the downward stress. What will kill this rotator (eventually) with the MA5B is wind torque. As Allen, KA5N, says use this rotator for now but be ready to replace it with something that can take the wind torque.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »

"Purchase a TB-105 thrust bearing.  I got mine from R&L Electronics for around $25.  Works great with that rotator.  I have some info on my website (www.ad5x.com) on how to install that thrust bearing.

Phil - AD5X"

I agree with Phil.  Get a TB 105  bearing and use it wit, and it will be fine till you can find a bigger one.  the MA5B is an amazing little antenna and you will be amazed at how it works.  If you run a 10 foot mast in your roof tower with a set of guys at the thrust bearing you will be in pig heaven.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

How would the same rotor handle the Mosley Mini 32A?  It weighs 9.5 pounds and has a windloading of 2.5 square feet?

73 John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: