Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Packet  (Read 4249 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »

Questions about packet

I have several questions about packet, starting a digipeater and a packet BBS. I tried the Digital forum here and didn't get any responses. Should I post the questions here? Or  is there another forum or site that one can recommend.

Thanks

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »

You could try the forums on QRZd. What kind of ?? do you have?  You won't get a response if you don't ask the questions.

Rick  wn2c
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:13:43 AM »

Thanks, I have looked on the 'net and even Youtube. It seems most of the packet information out there is from old posts from long ago. I think packet has its place as a backup emergency resource that could run 24/7 while the grid is up and take over when the grid, internet and cell phone service goes down due to a bad storm.

I'm thinking the ability to send, receive and relay text messages (and log them as well) with a packet bbs setup would have great potential in emergencies. Seeing that there is a lot of old equipment around like the MFJ 1278. It could be put to good use, rather than just sitting in the closet or basement.

The APRS frequency is 144.390. Can you do packet on it as well (text messaging)? Or
should one just pick a dedicated frequency for packet like 145.10 ? If there are other packet stations on say 145.10, should I use it or pick another frequency? Is APRS  on other 2 meter frequencies, what about other bands like 440, 6 meters, 220 ?

They sell these 'tiny track' knockoff's on E-Bay for $22. Are these good to use for APRS? They sell a # 3 and a # 4,  Is # 4  particularly better than the #3?  

Could you view APRS on a map without a computer or the internet by hooking up a Garmin NUVI to a tiny track to a 2 meter radio?

BBS and mailboxes. Are there still BBS with packet mailboxes around these days or is it mainly APRS?. Are packet digipeaters still around?  Can you use MFJ 1278 or Signalink for setting up packet BBS or mailboxes?

How would one go about starting a Packet BBS, digipeater, gateway in this day and age?

The newer radios like the Kenwood THD-72A, can one read packet messages and forward
packet messages to a packet mailbox with just the HT? Can you do the same with the Yaesu
VX8GR ? Can you connect up a computer, (any computer) to these radios and use them as a  packet only station? Same with D-Star? Can you do text messaging with these radios using the key pad?

For the MFJ 1278. Can I use hyper terminal or must I use the MFJ program? Where can one download the MFJ 1278 software program and what OS can it be used with ..like XP or Windows 7? Can you use it with Linux Mint? What about laptops without serial port? Could a Serial adapter to USB be used?

APRS seems to be a outgrowth of packet, perhaps this forum might be more suited for these questions. I tried asking these same questions on another forum here and didn't get any response.

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:44:31 AM by W4KYR » Logged

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:33 AM »

If you will contact me via email, I'll do my best to help you.

na4it at yahoo dot com
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

email sent
thanks

WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »

Hi Bill
When ya get up and running come play with us on .010.
A good amount of pkt activity in the greater cincy
area. My email is good on the zed. You are not alone.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »

Hi Bill
When ya get up and running come play with us on .010.
A good amount of pkt activity in the greater cincy
area. My email is good on the zed. You are not alone.

Excellent, thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: