Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To QRP or not to QRP  (Read 25548 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »

I started with an HW-8. Built it while waiting for my novice ticket. I raised a rather sad 40 meter dipole - and I mean sad! I worked many US and Canadian hams with it. Then when I went to 15 I was thrilled with my first DX contacts - OH, F, and ZF with the same sad diploe.

Since I always wanted to DX, I eventually built an HW-101 and ran 100W. I actually got bored, scraped the 101 and built my HW-9. 30 years later I still DX QRP. I haven't run over 5 watts in all that time. (1 exception was a French ham that needed Tennessee on 10 for WAS - I cranked my K2 up to 12 watts.) As I approach 300 DXCC countries I can't say I will never run higher power again, because I might, but power is no substitute for knowledge, skill, and a good antenna. Yes, I know we do use it as a substitute. A good example is the amount of 4th class ops trying to contact the First Class CW Op Club (FOC) stations recently. Where did these bad op practices come from?

I'd bet that if most ops took a year or two and operated only QRP for that time period, concentrated on good operating practices, learn about radios, propagation, antennas, etc... when they go back to their original high power they will be better DXers, contesters, ragchewers, or whatever and they will be amazed at the difference in their own skills.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

Anyone wanting to fill their logbook with 30 seconds-long QSOs won't like QRP.
I don't know about that - it's easier for QRPers to make short contacts than longer ones due to changes in condx...QSB, QRM, etc.  Maintaining a QSO for an extended ragchew while operating QRP is more difficult than making short QSOs IMO.

Contesters won't like QRP, though there are QRP contests...
That's certainly not universally true either.  My background is primarily contesting - I've made a number of contest-expedition trips and have been part of multi-op teams working over 10k QSOs in a weekend...and I'm a big fan of QRP.  While I do enjoy operating the occasional QRP contest, those really aren't like "real" contests such as ARRL-SS or CQWW, etc. - those are much more fun to operate for me, even QRP.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: