Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Awards Chasing  (Read 9415 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »

I have been operating QRP for years, but recently I have thought that I might want to try for some awards operating QRP. So, when I have made a decent QRP contact, I sent out a paper QSL card. However, (and I should have thought of this before) when you get the card back, no mention at all is made from the other op that I was running QRP.
Let me first of all specify that I am ONLY asking about awards that require confirmation of the contact. I know there are all kinds of clubs, and organizations as well as all kinds of awards out there that don't require confirmation of the contact. I know this. I am asking about the ones that do require confirmation: stuff like DXCC, WAS, various CQ awards........... How do you prove that you were operating QRP when you made the contact ? If they require proof that you in fact made the contact, do they also require you to prove that you were QRP at the time or do they take your word for that part of it ?

Ken
AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

I was trying to be lazy by just posting here and not researching this myself. I now checked the ARRL webpage and I don't believe that DXCC has a QRP endorcement but WAS does.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »

There is a QRP DXCC award actually: http://www.arrl.org/qrp-dxcc
They take your word for it.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

There is a QRP DXCC award actually: http://www.arrl.org/qrp-dxcc
They take your word for it.
Right, which is why they only offer a basic QRP DXCC and don't endorse it for additional countries.  Which is why I have been trying to get folks to submit their QRP DX country totals to me for inclusion here:  http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html

AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »

Thanks for that information.
The ARRL website is difficult for me to navigate. I saw your reponse and followed your link yesterday evening. Later on I wanted to look at it in more detail and I couldn't find QRP DXCC again until I came back here to follow your link again.

I now see that for ARRL QRP WAS they take your word for your power level also.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »

You're welcome.
The new ARRL website is a bit too "web 2.7" for me too - it's not trivial to link to a particular news item for example.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »

QRP-ARCI has a 1000-Miles-Per-Watt certificate you can get.

I didn't know about the QRP endorsement for WAS. I only need 3 more states and I'll have WAS, and I'll make sure that the QRP is noted.

-- Tom
K4EQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »

There's no way to "prove" one is QRP, which I'm sure is why the ARRL rightly doesn't have a DXCC endorsement for QRP. The QRP certificate many of us have received is separate from the regular DXCC program.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »

For the QRP DXCC you don't even need QSL cards.  I do think you need cards for the QRP WAS, though.  I am at 94 countries worked on QRP.  Think I might submit for QRP Worked All Continents soon if I can find the right QSLs in my stacks.

This QRP stuff can be addicting!

John AF5CC
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

The QRP ARCI has a nice set of awards for the QRP DXer. Everything from a basic DXCC or WAS to WAC to 5 band DXCC and the ever popular Miles Per Watt. I don't think many take advantage of some of the DX awards. I don't know why - other than many QRPers have interests more towards building and experimenting, which is understandable. But if you are interested you can get them endorsed for different power levels, modes, no. of entities worked (as in DXCC), etc... 
  You have to send in a copy of your log and I THINK it still has to be verified by 2 other hams. I'm not sure about that, they may have dropped that requirement. But you don't have to send in your cards. In reality the only one that can verify you were QRP is you, and if you have to cheat at getting a DX award...well...your just cheating yourself. I'm sure there are people that do, I'm just not sure what satisfaction they get out of it.
  In any case the QRP ARCI awards are (or were) neat awards to hang on the wall. The last one I got was in 2006 for 5 band DXCC. I do want to get some others like WAS, WAC, etc... but waiting on the new web page to be available.

CQ has a QRP DX Award endorsement as part of their CQ DX Award program. As with other CQ DX awards QSL cards have to be checked (or come through an EQSL verified member.) But the cards for the QRP endorsement must indicate you were operating @ 5 watts or below. In other words the DX op has to believe you were QRP during the QSO and state so on the card.(for example "NU4B/QRP" as the station worked or some notation that indicated you were QRP). The endorsement is for working 50 DX entities from the CQ DX list.

A couple of other DX awards I have that you can get endorsed for QRP are the All Japan Districts Award, the HC/HD DX Award and the HC8/HD8 DX Award. I know there are many more. A little QRP wallpaper adds a lot to the QRP shack whether your running milliwatts with a Rock-Mite or the full gallon with a K3. And its a good way to attest to your station's efficiency, you operating skill, and the great amateur radio experiment that is QRP!
N4EES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »

Hi Ken....I just earned my SKCC 2XQRP Award today, and made SKCC 1XQRP Award a few weeks ago...DXCC QRP took eight months, but finally made it this month.  Then, there is SKCC WAC and SKCC WAS, both with QRP endorsements...Also, SKCC is offering a Prefix Award, beginning in January...I'm sure it is also QRP endorsable.  As NU4B mentioned, ARCI also has lots of QRP Awards, but I think their website is down for awhile, for maintainance...Good luck...we still need to exchange SKCC numbers, Ken....see you on the Sked Page...72

James Garrison
N4EES
SKCC#1434T
KC2SIZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »

It's unfortunate that the ARRL makes such a big deal out of "proof" when it comes to its awards program. We're talking about a hobby first of all, not national security. But more importantly, what does it say about the ARRL's view of hams that it places so little value on their word? This is the dark side of the ARRL.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »

It's unfortunate that the ARRL makes such a big deal out of "proof" when it comes to its awards program. We're talking about a hobby first of all, not national security. But more importantly, what does it say about the ARRL's view of hams that it places so little value on their word? This is the dark side of the ARRL.

I couldn't disagree with you more. There are several places for you to get an award (other than the ARRL) that you don't need to produce the confirmations.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »

I'm thinking of going for the QRP DXCC award with my KX1. My regular DXCC at this point is waiting for new ones to come on the air or fill up slots for 5bdxcc. The diamond dxcc was fun to get, wound up with 150 countries. I think QRP dxcc is the next logical step. I know friends who have done qrp dxcc on a contest weekend..
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

I kinda forgot about this thread.

I now have the ARRL QRP DXCC.

I got my KX3 and went on a QRP binge. I worked 100 countries in 57 days (all CW). Obviously I spent a lot of time on the air.

As a result, I have pretty much become a 100% QRP op. I didn't really find it any more difficult to work DX while QRP on CW as opposed to 100 watts. So, I figured, why run 100 watts if it doesn't make any noticeable difference ? So, I have now worked another 10 or so additional countries QRP, but I quit counting since you can't get an endorsement on the award.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: