Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My tale of woe  (Read 6113 times)
ND6P
Member

Posts: 100




Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »


"The best way to increase the MTBF of any expensive component is to purchase a spare for it." 



I live 5 minutes away from an HRO.  That's solved a lot of problems Smiley
Logged
G3RZP
Member

Posts: 4847




Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »

I have a rebuilt  HRO on the shelf, and another awaiting rebuild. Wait ... perhaps HRO has another meaning for you, and it's not an HF boat anchor receiver (not that it's really heavy enough) made by National ?
Logged
ND6P
Member

Posts: 100




Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »

It does.  HRO sells ham equipment in the USA.  Stands for Ham Radio Outlet.  Smiley
Logged
N8FNR
Member

Posts: 149




Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »

"This sounds like there may be a situation where you need to perhaps slow down, study manuals, check and recheck info from the manuals and such things. "

Actually I do read the manuals. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. In fact I have PDF versions of the manuals for all my ham equipment. Makes it easier to search for key words. Looked in the Steppir Yahoo forum and the Elecraft user archives but could find nothing.

However I do understand where you are coming from. I support 350 PC's in a car factory and get stopped several times a day by users asking the simplest questions and my usual reply is did you look at Help? Rarely does anyone say yes they did.

Guess what? It just got weirder. I powered up the PC last week and all of the equipment as I was going to call Steppir support. Figured that they were going to talk me through some tests. All of a sudden the Steppir was now tuning OK and the amp started working on the bands that were inop. Both of these issues cleared up at the same time on the same day. These devices do not talk to each other in any way so I have no explanation as to why they are now working as I made no changes.

It must have been a disturbance in the Force.

Zack
N8FNR
Logged
WN2C
Member

Posts: 479




Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »

Murphy strikes again!!  Now he's making you question your sanity! Huh
Logged
AJ4CU
Member

Posts: 78




Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »

Gremlins.....
Logged
N6AJR
Member

Posts: 9921




Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

or... pay the electric company....hi hi.  its possibily a spike of something from the transformer on the pole or something. Or perhaps operator error..  I know I can get my rigs upside down in an instant.
Logged
WB6DGN
Member

Posts: 619




Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

Quote
I know I can get my rigs upside down in an instant.

Yeah, so can I.  But its getting harder and harder to bend down and pick them up off the floor when I finally calm down!
Tom
Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!