Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My tale of woe  (Read 6113 times)
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »

"The best way to increase the MTBF of any expensive component is to purchase a spare for it." 

I live 5 minutes away from an HRO.  That's solved a lot of problems Smiley
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »

I have a rebuilt  HRO on the shelf, and another awaiting rebuild. Wait ... perhaps HRO has another meaning for you, and it's not an HF boat anchor receiver (not that it's really heavy enough) made by National ?
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »

It does.  HRO sells ham equipment in the USA.  Stands for Ham Radio Outlet.  Smiley
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »

"This sounds like there may be a situation where you need to perhaps slow down, study manuals, check and recheck info from the manuals and such things. "

Actually I do read the manuals. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. In fact I have PDF versions of the manuals for all my ham equipment. Makes it easier to search for key words. Looked in the Steppir Yahoo forum and the Elecraft user archives but could find nothing.

However I do understand where you are coming from. I support 350 PC's in a car factory and get stopped several times a day by users asking the simplest questions and my usual reply is did you look at Help? Rarely does anyone say yes they did.

Guess what? It just got weirder. I powered up the PC last week and all of the equipment as I was going to call Steppir support. Figured that they were going to talk me through some tests. All of a sudden the Steppir was now tuning OK and the amp started working on the bands that were inop. Both of these issues cleared up at the same time on the same day. These devices do not talk to each other in any way so I have no explanation as to why they are now working as I made no changes.

It must have been a disturbance in the Force.

Zack
N8FNR
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »

Murphy strikes again!!  Now he's making you question your sanity! Huh
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »

Gremlins.....
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

or... pay the electric company....hi hi.  its possibily a spike of something from the transformer on the pole or something. Or perhaps operator error..  I know I can get my rigs upside down in an instant.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

I know I can get my rigs upside down in an instant.

Yeah, so can I.  But its getting harder and harder to bend down and pick them up off the floor when I finally calm down!
Tom
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: