Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARMER 800 MHz  (Read 10203 times)
KD0TLI

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »

With many states going to ARMER 800 MHz,  I've been asked how people can still listen in on what's going on.
Having not studied the ARMER system that much myself, how will non-HAM's and HAM's be able to listen in ?
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »

I'm not an expert by any sense of the word but I do monitor the state trunked radio system in OK so I understand how some of how they work. I use the Radio Reference website to stay informed. I just went over there to look at the info on the MN ARMER system which appears to be a P25 digital system that covers most of MN. I didn't notice anything that would keeep you from monitoring the system as long as you have a digital scanner.

Many states have such systems (only MN uses the name ARMER) at varying levels of sophistication, some are monitorable and others are not. The ability to monitor is going to depend on many things. The Radio Reference website is the best I know of for learning how to effectively set up a scanner to listen to systems that can be monitored. 
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »

With many states going to ARMER 800 MHz,  I've been asked how people can still listen in on what's going on.
Having not studied the ARMER system that much myself, how will non-HAM's and HAM's be able to listen in ?

With so many agencies moving to fully encrypted systems, the days are numbered for anyone to be able to listen, and not just Hams.
There are no laws, federal or local, that would restrict the ability for these agencies to do this and the manufacturers are pushing it.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

OK!  The "how" has been addressed.  What I want to know is WHY!  Having been an LMR tech. for over fifty years, I can't think of anything I DON'T want to do more than listen to public safety or even business communications.  Same old s**t, hour after hour, day after day (YAWN!).  What enjoyment is there in that?  Do yourself a favor and listen to a good ham repeater or two.  Much more interesting and you may even be motivated to join in once in a while.
Tom
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

OK!  The "how" has been addressed.  What I want to know is WHY!  Having been an LMR tech. for over fifty years, I can't think of anything I DON'T want to do more than listen to public safety or even business communications.  Same old s**t, hour after hour, day after day (YAWN!).  What enjoyment is there in that?  Do yourself a favor and listen to a good ham repeater or two.  Much more interesting and you may even be motivated to join in once in a while.
Tom

Why??? Just to use various old sayings: to each his own; whatever floats your boat; every hobby has its own esoteric and quirky avenues...

Turn it around...why not??? For as much EmComm takes a beating from some in this forum, it is a valid reason to monitor supported/cooperating agencies.
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »

Tom

Easy, with websites like RadioReference.com, the ability to stream traffic all over the world or to just a bad guy's iPhone, and the incredible appetite for the media to show up whenever they choose, the Public Safety community has about had it.  The manufactuers have listened with providing the ability to go silent rather quickly once they go all digital and they are giving the customer what they want.

Just down here in Florida there are numerous Yahoo groups and other websites dedicated to just the monitoring public and I'm sure the same hold true for other large metro areas.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »

Easy, with websites like RadioReference.com, the ability to stream traffic all over the world or to just a bad guy's iPhone, and the incredible appetite for the media to show up whenever they choose, the Public Safety community has about had it.  The manufactuers have listened with providing the ability to go silent rather quickly once they go all digital and they are giving the customer what they want.

Just down here in Florida there are numerous Yahoo groups and other websites dedicated to just the monitoring public and I'm sure the same hold true for other large metro areas.

Why do public service officials need to be able to have comms in private? What are they trying or going to hide from the public?  All their comms should be out in the open so they can be monitored. No secrecy here.

Rick  wn2c
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »

Why do public service officials need to be able to have comms in private? What are they trying or going to hide from the public?  All their comms should be out in the open so they can be monitored. No secrecy here.

Rick  wn2c

Because they can....
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

I listen to Minnesota ARMER everyday w/ a Uniden BCD996XT (w/ Freescan computer control).  Every public safety agency/ entity is on it.  That would be local city police, county sheriff, MNDOT snow plow operators, State Troopers, EMS, MNDOT workers, etc.  It works very well.

From what I gathered from reading the MN Radio Forum on RadioReference, listeners in the Twin Cities Metro area can be overloaded because of the amount of traffic and sites.  Since the surrounding terrain is fairly flat I can hear seven tower sites easily, and if need be I can monitor some tower sites that are nearly 40 miles away.

I don't know if the local county sheriff can only use the nearest 4 towers or not.  I know it "is" possible for a deputy to be further up north and still communicate w/ the sheriff.

I have not heard any encryption myself, but I know it can be used, and has been used by certain agencies.  These folks are all public servants, I think comms should be in the "open", and so I feel I have a "need to know" how my local and state authorities are functioning.  That being said, hardly a day goes by that I don't see a policeman w/ a cellphone to their head.

Mike
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »

"Why do public service officials need to be able to have comms in private? What are they trying or going to hide from the public?  All their comms should be out in the open so they can be monitored. No secrecy here.
Rick  wn2c"
Because information can be misconstrued, and misused.  That 'misconstruing' and 'misuse' do cause interference with procedures and can provide information to those who don't 'need' that information.  It can be time sensitive.  It's that simple.
 - Paul
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »

pros about encryption: Because I don't want the local deputy transmitting mine or anyone elses social security number over their traffic channel in the clear.

cons about encryption: On the other hand I like to be able to listen to our local dispatch channel to find out about any accidents so I can plan an alternate route around town.

You can't have everything and I know some departments have encrypted sensitive information while others like simple dispatch comms are in the clear.

Like others have mentioned Lindsey Blanton has screwed up public safety listening for all of us what with him streaming of everything and anything he can get away with.

Fortunately he's smart enough not to stream things like CBP and other FED comms, not that he can since they are all mostly encrypted anyway and this is probably the only reason he doesn't have any FED comms streaming.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

pros about encryption: Because I don't want the local deputy transmitting mine or anyone elses social security number over their traffic channel in the clear.

cons about encryption: On the other hand I like to be able to listen to our local dispatch channel to find out about any accidents so I can plan an alternate route around town.

Prior to switching to the MN ARMER system from VHF, I never heard a SSN called in.  At a time you might have heard a DL number, but you never hear that today, as all LEO's have mobile data terminals now (basically a computer w/ an aircard).

That being said, there have been two high profile cases in MN about individuals in the DNR and Police agencies accessing personal data via the DL database.  I am more concerned w/ computer data access than hearing my SSN on the local police net.

Another reason I no longer use a "amateur" license plate on my vehicle, you kind of stick out...

Mike
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »

It's nice to know when the local utility is doing in restoring power in your area. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: