Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL 10 Meter Contest This Weekend  (Read 7399 times)
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

A month ago I was still able to work 10 meters in the early evening just after dark. I could only get the west coast from Ohio with my 3 element tribander that is at 20 feet. I could not reach anyone closer. Now the band shuts down much earlier.

Is 10 meters dead after dark now?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

A month ago I was still able to work 10 meters in the early evening just after dark. I could only get the west coast from Ohio with my 3 element tribander that is at 20 feet. I could not reach anyone closer. Now the band shuts down much earlier.

Is 10 meters dead after dark now?

In the 10M contest you'll be able to work some locals after dark. Important to listen for and pick up local mults and points if you are going for net score!

Even when sunspots not so hot, there will be some some transequatorial stuff on 10M after dark too.

And there are occasional openings to faraway places in the middle of winter night on 10M, even when sunspots not so hot. Keep the radio on just in case, because your best chance to hear "spotlight propagation" will be the activity in the 10M contest! I remember in past years, completely unexpected (to me) openings to VK, ZL, and ZS. I'm sure some VOACAP expert would tell me of course those had to happen at those times, but I would never believe him :-)

Tim.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »

10 meters was HOT during the CQWW CW DX Contest two weeks ago. I worked all over the world with 599+ signals. The band was open to Utah from 8 AM to 5 PM with Europe until 11 AM.

During that contest ionospheric conditions were LOW. For the ARRL 10 meter contest conditions are predicted to be VERY LOW to LOW.

I'll be on 10 meters this weekend starting Friday at 0000Z to hopefully work some South Americans and possibly some JA's. Then I'll be back on at 1500 Z Saturday morning until the band closes. Then repeat on Sunday until the contest ends at 2400 Z.

Don't miss this contest, it's a blast!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:57:02 PM by WX7G » Logged
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:54:40 AM »

Couple of weeks ago I was optimistic but recently 10 has been dead. Funny what a contest can do so hopefully it will open up a bit but I don't feel there will be any records this year unless the band has a quick turn around. Doesn't look like that's likely. Never the less I'll be at it all weekend.
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

Its funny how 10 meters can be so empty and dead, and then there is a contest and it magically opens! I've only been a ham for 4 years and those first 2 years had no sunspots. I would contact locals on 10 meters but as soon as there was an international contest I could work SA and EU easily.

I'll be on the radio tonight at 0000Z (7 pm Ohio) to catch what I can in the darkness.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »

While the band might be closing earlier at night now you can still expect to work stations after dark.  With the contest comes more activity.  More signals on the band will mean that you are more likely to hear
a station on from an area that has propagation to your location.  If there is no one transmitting you will
never know.

In addition to the F2 propagation this time of year brings increased sporadic E propagation. Sporadic E can happen at any time and at any sun spot level.  There have been years when the band has been very open the first night of the contest here in Texas.  I would not give up on the band until at least 11 or 12 local time.
In the years when I did this contest as a serious entrant I would always be on calling CQ until midnight each night - sometimes this results in a lot of contacts and other years none but you just never know.

Since 2001 WM5R has been operating the 10 meter contest from my station and some years he has had great E Skip at night well after sunset.

You can find his contest results for all of those years here:

http://www.wm5r.org/contest/

The rate sheets or CBS reports will show you his contacts per hour and give you an idea of how good the Eskip can be.

Here are the links to some of the years that were very good.

http://www.wm5r.org/contest/2011_arrl10/11arrl10.rpt
http://www.wm5r.org/contest/2010_arrl10/10arrl10.cbs
http://www.wm5r.org/contest/2007_arrl10/07arrl10.cbs

George
K5TR
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »

I am sporadically checking 10M since 9AM Eastern and nothing heard so far. Spots must be VERY LOW LOW as mentioned earlier. Maybe later today or evening.
Fred
KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »

This is my second contest, and the band is so dead I literally had to go borrow another rig to make sure my setup was working. Best so far is heard but not worked Brazil from Pennsylvania (I'm coming back to him!)

Seems to be getting better in the last hour or so.
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »

I have worked 4 stations Columbus Ohio so far 1 Nicaragua and 3 Mexico all with 59 reports, and I am running 25w with a solarcon A99 12ft off the ground not spectacular band conditions but workable
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Some activity mostly S-2 signal from various parts of the country. 2:00PM Eastern
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »

working numerous west coast stations at the present time all s9+
KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

Got Montana, Washington, Alberta, Nevada (and more closer) from Pennsylvania. Heard Brazil and Peru, but couldn't work them. Serious QSB on pretty much everyone. I'm running my school's club station, and we've got a pretty nice vertical up about 70 feet, but it's not helping me much now. I know it works - heard Ireland clear as day a few weeks ago - but nothing doing. I seem to be getting out alright, but I just can't hear anything!
KB4RIZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »

Man I am glad it's not just me..I was really looking forward to this one, and I am not entirely sure it is the band conditions.  I hear several beacons most of the time,  but as for contacts..nada.  Nothing heard..no replies to CQs and overall it is like everyone just gave up!

Went down a little to the CB bands and those guys are a hoot.  They are actually having fun.  What's happened to our hobby?

Sad.
KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »

I think "what has happened to our hobby" is a bit much. It's just the band, and it's just now. Every propogation forecast for 10 meters says poor, and it has for a while. A friend of mine tried to do the RTTY contest last weekend from Pennsylvania and worked more Pennsylvanians than anyone else. The band's in bad shape these last two weeks or so. I was grumpy, but then I remembered I should just take a break if I'm bored and had fun working through the pileup on 20 meters for http://www.qrz.com/db/OF9X to talk to Santa Claus. Had a blast, and checked my equipment. Now I'm back to 10 meters to see if it's any better, and if it's not I'll go look around 20 or 40 meters for a bit, and then I'll come back. No big deal.
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »

Well so far, this weekend's 10 meter contest has been a huge disappointment.  Condx are nowhere near as good as they were 2 weeks ago for the CQ WW contest.  I managed 41 countries working 10 meters (part time) during the CQ WW. Just the nature of the beast I suppose.  Only managed to work 3 DX stations all day long today. Bummer.

P.S. South America seems to be opening up a little right now....Just worked 2 Argentina stations in a row. I'm on a roll now LOL.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:52:18 PM by WA2TVU » Logged

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: