Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crank up vertical  (Read 2635 times)
W7SAG

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »

Anybody know anything about this?

http://www.steppir.com/

I saw the "teaser" ad for Steppir in the December CQ magazine and went to the website for information on their new portable antenna.  This seems like it could be a nice option for HOA-restricted hams like me who also work portable.  The question is: will it work?   What will it cost?  I guess we have to wait until Spring to know for sure.  I would be curious what the Antenna experts think.

73 de John, W7SAG
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:20:02 PM »

very interesting! I hope it does not have the price tag of the beams  Cheesy Undecided
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »

with the Steppir name it will be in the Yagi price range. When they talk about 2KW of power handling then the price goes up another $500.00
We'll see.
Fred
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »

Interesting. It would have been nice if they had explained how it is fed.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »

No mention of the radials you'll need to use with it.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »

Looks like a half folded vertical. I would just go with a normal vertical and tip it up when you want to use it. The problem with all antennas in a resitricted space (HOA Enviroment) is your noise level is high due to adjecent sources (computers) and your RF will interfer with lots of audio deviecs in a 200 radius. As others have said you will need radials.

You might want to consider a mobil set up for HF operation.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »

Anybody know anything about this?

http://www.steppir.com/

I saw the "teaser" ad for Steppir in the December CQ magazine and went to the website for information on their new portable antenna.  This seems like it could be a nice option for HOA-restricted hams like me who also work portable.  The question is: will it work?   What will it cost?  I guess we have to wait until Spring to know for sure.  I would be curious what the Antenna experts think.

73 de John, W7SAG

If you do a search you will find that they were taking orders at a cost of $149.00 back in 2002 but stopped and halted production saying that they will re-introduce this antenna at a later tim.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT817/message/26665
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »

There doesn't seem to be any info on the website, but it's pretty easy to guess how this works and estimate the performance.  Here is my guess:

If you blow up the picture, you can see two different kinds of wire/cord.  That will be the junction of the conductive wire and a cord of some kind.  This cord rewinds back onto the reel, so turning the crank you can extend out the amount of wire you need to make it resonate at the right frequency.   You will need radials of some kind because this is just a vertical.  With an 18 ft mast, it will be a normal vertical for 20 thru 2 meters.  The SWR should be the same as you would expect from a standard vertical.  At lower frequencies the wire loops across the top and back to towards the ground.  That will produce a lower feedpoint impedance and higher SWR on the lower bands.  The lower feedpoint impedance will also produce more ground loss.  The amount of that loss will depend on how many radials you have.  There should be insignificant gain loss just from looping the wire back towards the ground.  The only significant extra loss will come from the feedpoint impedance being lower and causes the ground impedance to be a larger percentage of the total impedance, and so more ground loss.

So who will be the first to build one of these and put a motor in place of the crank?  The difficult part will be keeping the amount of wire going out of the reel equal to the amount of cord going into the reel.  (In a blown up picture, notice there appears to be a springy horizontal support on top of the mast.)

Jerry, K4SAV
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »

If you get clever and use a continuous loop of wire with a break on one side,
the left and right sides each act as an antenna on some frequency.  By choosing
the right overall length you can get low SWR on two bands at a single setting,
and you don't have to crank it as far to go from 10m to 40m.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: