Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good CW receiving program  (Read 386 times)
KC9MJP

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »

Does anyone know of a good CW receiving program? I'm sure you do.  I've tried quite a number, fiddled with the settings on each, but all they've ever decoded is a bunch of "E"s and "T"s; I can never get them to string them together to make words even after slowing down the WPM dramatically.
NB8N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:11:56 AM »

The best equipment for receiving CW is OP EARS.  Honestly, the ear out performs any gizmo or program you might rely on.  Been there done that.  Again, quite honestly, several programs (MixW, for example) do a fine job receiving "perfectly sent" CW, but they throw a snit with anything less than perfect, so you are lost if you cannot copy CW---the good and the bad---without aid of gadgets.  
I use a homebrew interface with MixW for sending the mundane exchange info in CW contesting (and Field Day), but I rely on my ears for all receiving.  
Give it a try.  Build up your "head-copy speed" and you'll soon wonder why you wasted time and money on  gadgets when you had the best God-given equipment to begin with.  Take care.

Bob - NB8N
www.bobburdick.com
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »

Do you mean you can only get the "e" and "t" when copying computer generated code?  OR when you are sending by hand?

CWGet is a pretty good receiving program and will copy well sent (computer generated) code well down into the noise.  

Give us a bit more info on how you are trying to receive code, then better info can be provided.  Decent computer receiving programs WILL copy code and copy it with a bit of noise - BUT it does need to be well sent code.

73 de Ken H> K9FV
KC9MJP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »

I'm trying to receive computer generated code; maybe a string of code I hear in a video or on an obscure webpage.  It may even extend into receiving over the air.  I'm still learning code and I'm not doing this to get around that.  I do a lot of experimenting with different communications modes for non-ham purposes and was tinkering with a few ideas yesterday and thought of using morse for a future project; one that would require people with no CW knowledge to be able to receive.  Hence why I'm looking for a good Rx program.

Thanks
de KC9MJP
Dan
PE1NPG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »

Dear OM,

IF you have a Windows Mobile PDA available you could try Pocketdigi, I have had some very good result in noisy conditions. OK, it will not decode a very bat fist...
Believe me, i've tried yhem all. For CW decoding on a PC its MultiPSK ( you will get used to the ugly interface), but Pocketdigi gives you even better results.

Have fun experimenting, 73 from the Netherlands de PE1NPG, Jean-Pierre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: