Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Out of band transmit power  (Read 30857 times)

Posts: 200

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

OK, since NO ONE seems to actually want to properly address the issue on 97.403 and what it REALLY means according to the FCC and the league here it is. 
If you have a tech class license and you can't find anyone on 10 meters in the band limits that you are allocated to legally, you can leave the frequency range that your license allows you to access and communicate via voice, data, or CW on lets say the 40 meter band in the case of an emergency.  It's NOT talking to the po po.  It's not calling the local fire dept on their repeater, it means that the FCC will NOT take your license for transmitting outside of the assigned range for your license class.  This was important back when a Novice class operator had NO VHF/UHF privileges and needed to get assistance. 

The intent was NEVER to have hams mod their radios to talk on part 90 frequencies, or outside of ANY ham band.  Only that they could communicate anywhere in the assigned HAM bands for emergency purposes.

As far as being difficult. I wasn't directing all that specifically at you. But I hear ALOT of this being in the industry.  I have heard guys with their tech license claiming they were a radio tech simply because they passed the ham test and that meant they knew what it took to work on professional radio gear.  There are ALOT of hams that are in the profession.  But in truth, many of them don't readily admit to being hams to customers because of issues like hams wanting on the police repeaters.  I have heard from a number of customers where some ARES hack called the local PD or Sheriffs office wanting programming information so they could put their channels in their modded ham radios. 

As far as a radio specific.  Find out what frequency and more importantly license the local SAR group holds.  It will have some specific information on it including the emission  designators on it that will indicate what radios can LEGALLY be used.  If the license is part95 (Itinerant) then you have to get a radio that is part 95 compliant.  This has to do with power output, antenna length, can the antenna be removed.  Some part 95 frequencies can be put into mobile radios.  Others can ONLY be in portables.  Some frequencies can be paired and a repeater constructed with them.. Most can't.  It's ultimately the license holders responsibility to make sure all radios on their license are compliant. 

As far as the idea of the cop radio channels, consider it like this.  While the FCC is the final enforcement group for all things radio.  Citys like Columbus Ohio specifically have it on their Codified Ordinances (local laws) that no one can posses a radio programmed with their specific system in it.  Trunked systems are computer driven and have system keys.  The keys are specific to the system and are property of the system administrator.  Having those keys, putting them in a radio, or hacking a radio so it will work on one of these systems violates several copy right, intellectual property, and computer crimes laws.  Not to mention the FCC laws on harmful interference, transmitting without a license, and a couple others that don't come to mind right now.  Short version is they will not throw a book at you, it wll be a full set of encyclopedias.

Posts: 0

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »

That's three.  Part 95 is Personal Radio Services.  That is CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, and LPRS. Itinerant Business frequencies are in Part 90.

Are you sure you are "in the business"?

Posts: 200

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »

Nope, not sure.  I fact the work van out front in the drive way is just abandoned.  Need to remember to call someone about that.  The multiple Motorola Certifications I hold were just for fun.  Oh, and these itchy assed shirts I am required to wear aren't really part of a real uniform... It's kinda like the wacker vests that I see the ARES clowns in,  it's all for show and to look important.

Any other forum and I would have just said yes.  But since this is the dress up and act self important, which requires silly vests with ARRL all over them and a bandoleer of portable radios strapped on to fit in, I figured maybe I was just trying to fit in so I suppose the question is valid given the readers.

Posts: 0

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »

Besides the extra and the grol the main certification I carry is the one that says retired.  And believe me it was earned.

But now that you have calmed a tad I'll stop bustin' your chops.

Posts: 416

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 05:17:31 AM »

It would be interesting to see an ARES clown...actually, I consider myself a SATERN member. (who dresses to look important... but is also Red Cross certified in first aid and me) save a distressed ham who has just suffered a heart attack from all the "Trolling" involved here on E-ham.

It'd be ironic don't ya think?

I'm done with this thread...Time to get answers to my FM satellite questions.

Merry Christmas / Happy New Year!

73. Todd - KT0DD
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!