Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External VFO for Kenwood TS130-what's it good for?  (Read 3030 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:59 AM »

My TS130 came with the optional external VFO, a Kenwood VFO-120. I googled it and it seems that the point of having an external VFO was for hard core DXers to work split frequencies. I don't intend to work South Sudan anytime in the future, and the VFO is just sitting. I was wondering what this unit is worth, and should I keep it, I have no idea how to work a double VFO.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »

How do you know how you will feel about working DX in two or three years?
It is near impossible to work much DX without being able to use split.
It's your VFO and you can do whatever you want to with it.  If you sell it you can
get a couple of hundred dollars (I don't know what the going price of a VFO-120 is).
However if you upgrade from the TS-130 you will find it a lot easier to sell the pair
than a TS-130 by itself.  The price of VFO's tend to go up since they are not making
new ones and someone may want to add one to his existing TS-130.
Generally I find that no matter what you do, you will wish you had done something
else.  If you can't make up your mind, flip a coin.
Allen KA5N
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »

if youhave a sked with someone, you can leave one vfo on the sked freq,  and use the other to  search for open space..

pop right back to the original..    flip flop between   one freq and  another. 

work someone off freq  by  using one for recieve and one for transmit..

worth its weight in  potato chips.....
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:48 AM »

The external VFO might also come in very handy for the day that the internal VFO fails for any one of several reasons...

Don't laugh, once had a rig with External VFO and internal was hosed, used it a lot for quite some time that way before I got the round tuit to pull the thing out of service and upend it on the test bench, dig into it and repair it. 

Good idea also to keep it for the day you wish to sell that rig after replacing it with something else that grabs yer eye, you will get a better price if you can advertise "with matching VFO" - something the collectors desire.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »

I guess I'll keep it, then. KA5N is right, nobody knows the future, and tastes change. It's pretty small, so I'll just stash it in a corner for now.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »

I used to have a Tempo 1 with a bad drift problem.

By using the external VFO the problem was solved.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

X-Lock 3.0 from Cambria Designs addresses Drifty
http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/x-lock.htm

http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: