Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old QSO's I should have sent for  (Read 2953 times)
AI0O

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »

With the dwindling possibilities of activation of US possessions I am wondering if anyone has any info on the following Dxpeditions of the past. Suppose some are SK's by now. Just curious if someone may know if the logs still exist?

KH3AB  Johnston Is  1981
KP2A/KP1 Navassa Is  1982
AD1S/KH5J  Palmyra/Jarvis Is  1983
KP2A/KP5  Desecheo Is  1989 (missed K5D on 10M)
AH3C/KH5J  Palmyra/Jarvis  1990
AD1S/KH9  Wake Is  1991

Thanks,
Rob AI0O
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »

I am sure that you could get a few of those confirmed.  It is funny to see a QSO in there that is older than me  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

Ouch!!!the first QSO in 1981...I had my ticket for 25yrs....but its been a fun ride.
73...Sam W8VVE
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

Ouch!!!the first QSO in 1981...I had my ticket for 25yrs....but its been a fun ride.
73...Sam W8VVE
I was born in '82.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

The AH3C/KH5J April 1990 log is in LoTW.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »

As per qrz.com
KP2A has a QSL manager W3HNK, has an email address listed on qrz
AD1S comes back to N1DES, has an email address listed on qrz

I would try emailing them and asking! I had a logbook I hadn't seen in 10-15 years I thought I had lost in a move. I found lots of good qso's that I never QSL'd with. 20+ years later I was able to get QSL's out of them! It never hurts to try. All you have to lose is the time you took to type up the email.

I missed out on some good QSL's, including 9N1MM. I missed the QSL manager by several years, apparently when he passed away all the logs and cards were tossed, so it will forever be just an entry in my log book.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

I just ran across a QSO in my log with OK2SAI (Czechoslovakia) from 1987. Contact the op and he still had his logs from back then. Even though Czech is a deleted entity now and does not count towards HR, I still wanted to have it confirmed so sent for it direct.

Like others said, I'm sure you could get most if not all of those. You may have go direct for some but worth a try.

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »

KH3AB  Johnston Is  1981   NR4K, appears to be SK as of 2003.

KP2A/KP1 Navassa Is  1982 

Pathfinder found K8CW, but that is 1999 info. Link to the qsl pic showing the card w/ops   http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/Navassa/kp2a.htm

AD1S/KH5J  Palmyra/Jarvis Is  1983

Found AD1S/KH5 for Nov 1983, no /KH5J.  AD1S was  George Adkins, looks like his license expired in 2001.  The other ops were  W0RLX (W0MY),  WA2MOE, and H44SH.  The first 2 are good on qrz. They may be able to help with a card.

KP2A/KP5  Desecheo Is  1989 (missed K5D on 10M) 

I got mine via N6CW in 2008.  I was a bit late also.

AH3C/KH5J  Palmyra/Jarvis  1990 

OH2BN

AD1S/KH9  Wake Is  1991

According to the qsl image found at http://hamgallery.com/qsl/ he was there with WE5I/KH9.  WE5I changed his call to AH9B, and is now W5CCP. He might have an answer for you. Or not.

Good luck.

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »

QSL manager society rules is never to close a log. So I'm sure you can get some of those confirmed.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »

A few years ago I was able to get 6Y5NR/KP1 confirmed from a 1985 QSO.  Found a few other operators listed on the QSL on the QSL gallery, and contacted them.  One of them had the logs and a few old QSLs so we got it worked out that way.

Good luck, wish I had a few more Wake Is. QSO-have only 1, on 20m SSB.

John AF5CC
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »

About 10 years ago, I made a commitment to confirm as many old qsos that I never qsled as possible....I was very successful, much to my surprise, to find the qsl information from those old qsos and get qsl cards from most of them....so it can be done, unless the operator/manager is SK.....For me, the two that I am going to kick myself until the end for not qsling soon enough would be HV3SJ at the Vatican, as the manager is now SK and the logs from when I worked them in 1992 are lost forever....and SV5TS, who is now out of the hobby and I am told is too old to do much of anything now.....Again, for those lost qsos, I will be kicking myself over it until I become SK..... Angry....

V
KA3NRX

K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

About 10 years ago, I made a commitment to confirm as many old qsos that I never qsled as possible....I was very successful, much to my surprise, to find the qsl information from those old qsos and get qsl cards from most of them....so it can be done, unless the operator/manager is SK.....For me, the two that I am going to kick myself until the end for not qsling soon enough would be HV3SJ at the Vatican, as the manager is now SK and the logs from when I worked them in 1992 are lost forever....and SV5TS, who is now out of the hobby and I am told is too old to do much of anything now.....Again, for those lost qsos, I will be kicking myself over it until I become SK..... Angry....

V
KA3NRX

You should not be kicking yourself too hard since there are bunch of activities from these two. HV0A was on just yesterday and SV5's are QRV very frequently.

73 Dragan K0AP
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »

V
KA3NRX

Why not just work em again, Vince?  Vatican AND Dodecanese are both active pretty often, particularly SV5. Gives you two relatively easy ones to work that you need confirmed. ("New" ATNOs?)

GL/73, Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

V
KA3NRX

You should not be kicking yourself too hard since there are bunch of activities from these two. HV0A was on just yesterday and SV5's are QRV very frequently.

73 Dragan K0AP

Dragan & Geno:

I failed to mention that I do have those countries confirmed. I have both HV0A and HV4NAC...and for Dodecanese I have a card from an expedition from 2002....believe it or not, I haven't heard another signal from SV5 since....However, I guess my point was that when I did work HV3SJ and SV5TS way back in the early 90s, that I should have made the effort to confirm them back then....Thought I sent for HV3SJ's card via the buro was good enough, and in my stupidity as a young dxer, I pu pu-ed SV5TS as being for Greece and not the Dodecanese Islands...Ya snooze, ya lose!.....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:35:38 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
AI0O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried some of these earlier and got mostly no responses.  It has been a long time. Never know, may just get one or two of these. Thanks again for the help.
Rob AI0O
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: