Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gathering QSLs for 8BDXCC (LOTW no help...)  (Read 913 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »

While there is lull or a dead zone for ATNOs, I will continue to round up QSLs for my 8BDXCC.

From a list of around 30 that I have worked on 12 meters, which had not QSLed (I only need around 15 more confirmed on 12 for DXCC) yet, 26 were not on LOTW. These were mostly EU and JA QSOs. No surprise there Roll Eyes.

Some Buro cards going out tomorrow, but every time I do this, I wonder is LOTW really a big deal??
Sure, its handy for DXpeditions, but how about for the average ham in EU or JA who QSLs?

Why do many (MOST?) EU and JA hams seem to avoide it like the plague? I wonder what percent of active hams who QSL on a regular basis actually USE LOTW? 10%?

Even disregarding the problems it has now, I dont think it will EVER become what ARRL had in mind when they developed it. I mean how helpful is it, when only a small percent of hams use it???

73, Gene AF3Y

PLUS:   I ran up on a couple hams who will NOT send OR receive via the buro. They said dont waste my time. One says he will send via the buro, but only DIRECT mail for his incoming cards.  Go Figure Huh
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:40:04 PM by AF3Y » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »

There's no money in using the buro for some stations who ask for 3 IRCs or $5.00 for a single QSL card. I can understand some not wanting to use LOTW but it really gets my goat when a station will work someone and then try to 'ransom' a QSL card. Yes, many of the DX do get lots and lots of cards with minimal to no postage in them for return but for those I say either dump them in the trash or return via the buro. If no buro and no LOTW, the guy ought to state so when work the pileup so the other op will know it might be a waste of time if this is an ATNO and they are expecting to verify it.

Just my 2 cents ....

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

Why do many (MOST?) EU and JA hams seem to avoide it like the plague? I wonder what percent of active hams who QSL on a regular basis actually USE LOTW? 10%?
If you count "active hams" as "the ones who appear in my log" (30,000 QSO's in past two years), then about half use LOTW.

There are pockets where LOTW participation is near zero, sure. Then there are pockets where LOTW usage is very high. Big whoop.

I would guess that one major roadblock to higher participation, is that the log has to be in the computer file. For a contester in the past decade+, that's completely trivial. But it's not so trivial for huge swaths of the ham population.
Even disregarding the problems it has now, I dont think it will EVER become what ARRL had in mind when they developed it. I mean how helpful is it, when only a small percent of hams use it???
Wow, when I got 5BDXCC using 99.4% pure LOTW credits, you don't think that's what they had in mind?
PLUS:   I ran up on a couple hams who will NOT send OR receive via the buro. They said dont waste my time. One says he will send via the buro, but only DIRECT mail for his incoming cards.  Go Figure Huh
Remember... outside the USA, to get bureau cards you have to belong to your national radio society. If you don't choose to belong... your bureau cards go in the circular bin. Just like some choose not to join LOTW, others choose not to join their national radio society. Their choice. (Or not... in some cases there is no bureau, or no bureau to some parts/segments of a country.)

All that said... for me what LOTW did, is become the central organizing point for all my QSL'ing. Without it, I doubt I ever would have marshalled the recordkeeping to get beyond a pile of thousands and thousands of paper QSL's. Sure, others are more organized than me and were on top the whole time. But for the first 30+ years of me being a ham, it was all "get the card and put it in the pile". Only with LOTW did DXCC, then 5BDXCC, and now 9BDXCC seem like quantifiable goals where I could watch my daily progress... which just pushed me on to make more progress.

It doesn't hurt that a dozen or so hours in any major DX contest will get many folks almost all the way to DXCC, and (thanks to high contest LOTW participation) almost all the way to confirmed DXCC.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:38:33 PM by N3QE » Logged
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:25:58 AM »

I use Logic9 for my logging. Back around 2000 I took the time to enter all my paper logs into Logic though it took several months to do that. I believe the author helped with software protocol for LOTW back in it's infancy. Submitting and receiving LOTW with this logging program is simple and works well. Although there are a few steps to do, they are all repetitive so it's quickly learned.

There are many different ways to see what you have earned and by how within Logic and one way is interesting as regards LOTW; When you tell Logic to assemble your confirmed QSOs for any award, you can display the information in many ways but three in particular are simply how many worked & what band/mode. Another is; do you want that with a preference for QSL cards received & LOTW to fill in what's received but with no card received. Or, do you want a preference to display LOTW and use cards secondarily to fill in the rest not fulfilled with LOTW. It's nice to be able to choose your favorite option.

I haven't applied for a new DXCC total since the late 80s and I am about to apply for 9 band DXCC and I want to use as many cards as I can and use LOTW for the rest. Most of my newest needed DX fulfilled for the 9 band has been by LOTW. Most of my ATNO are via card. 12M & 17M have been the slowest to fill and they are in the upper 90's each. All CW Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:28:12 AM by KA1J » Logged
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »

I got back on the air in 2009 and using 99% LotW confirmations, got 8BDXCC and 5BWAS confirmed - LotW worked great for me. 12 more to go on 160, as D3AA just came through on LotW.

The 1% were mostly the ones who only QSL direct. Out of all those contacts there might have been a dozen that were buro cards - very rare for me to have a card come in via the buro that didn't come in on LotW anyway.

Pre-LotW I never even chased those awards - too much work.

Sure, it would be nice to see LotW membership go from 56,000 to 156,000 but the 56,000 using it seem to be the most active hams. I'm running a 45% LotW confirmation rate on QSOs. I'm sure that is skewed a good deal with contest QSOs but still runs much higher then buro or eQSL confirmation rate.

John K3TN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: