Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th floor apartment and QRP  (Read 6212 times)
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 06:35:41 AM »

Quote from: KA2ZEY
Can anyone say what kind of performance I can expect from that high up?
I realize that we are heading into the Sunspot cycle peak in 2013
What direction does your patio / window face??
Being on the East Coast, an eastward (sunrise) view will be a distinct advantage.

IF you get your station completed in next 4 weeks (get your antenna setup, borrow a radio),
 you can determine true DX potential by operating the 2013 ARRL International DX Contests (CW, Phone)
In 2000 and 2001, I operated the Phone portion of those contests - at an elevated height (facing east).  Europe and middle East/Western Asia were fairly routine.  Africa and South America, a bit more challenging, given the orientation of my view and antennas.

Mission: Encourage W/VE stations to expand knowledge of DX propagation on the HF and MF bands, improve operating skills, and improve station capability by creating a competition in which DX stations may only contact W/VE stations.

CW: Third full weekend in February (February 16-17, 2013).
Phone: First full weekend in March March 2-3, 2013).

Contest Period: 48 hours each mode (separate contests).
Starts 0000 UTC Saturday; ends 2359 UTC Sunday.
====
Due to your height (15 stories), you may have an advantage for Single Operator, QRP category.

3.1. Single Operator:
The use of spotting assistance or automated, multi-channel decoders is NOT permitted.
3.1.1. QRP: 5 watts transmitter output or less.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:41:59 AM by W9GB » Logged
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »

The balcony faces N with exposure to the E and W. Hopefully we'll be moved in by then.
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »

Just wanted to revisit this thread. I have not moved into my new place 15 floors up but I'm thinking that a rig
with a great receiver is going to be a must given the dense urban environment and that altitude. I suppose anything
by Elecraft or something like the TS-480 or IC-7200 which are reported to have great receivers would be good. I want to keep the radio on the small side because the setup won't be permanent. A radio with good selective receiver and Alex loop would be a good combo for balcony operation and combating interference.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »

Interestingly the attenuator in my IC-718 helps with the signal to noise ratio enough my indoor vertical antenna....Takes S-7 to zero register and really helps me listen to stations but I know the noise is still there or is it?

Because afterwhich I hear signals previously swamped in the noise.

Conventional wisdom is that the Attenuator attenuates everything noise and signal...but eh not in this case the signal to noise ratio is greatly improved regardless.

Hope Floats
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: