Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW learning tool  (Read 618 times)
K4PP

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »

Hi all,
I have started learning Morse code using G4FON and MorseLearner. I didn't take me very long to realize that it's a whole lot easier to learn to send than to receive. Is there a program, podcast, or some such, that can be set to simply repeat a character in morse followed by the spoken character, repetatively?

Thanks for any help

K4PRP
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »

I don't think you want to do that.  Just practice listening.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »

I used the Gorden West tapes in my car when I first learned CW.  You really want to learn the sounds and not try to translate from sounds because you will be too slow.
KC2MJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »

Stick with it. Baby steps, baby steps. Some people find they hit plateaus and don't advance for long periods of time. This is normal. Relax, have fun with it and make it a game. The package ur using is fine, the Gordon West tapes are great. I just hope you're not in your 80's.

I'm not opposed to using crutches such as CODEQUICK. The assisted learning packages will teach you the code and yes, you will be a bit slower out of the blocks as the prior two posters suggest. Nevertheless, you will learn the code, it will enable you to get on the air, and if you stick with it, you'll be above 20 wpm soon enough. More importantly, you'll have learned the code and let's be honest, most qso's  are in the 12 to 16 wpm range and they're having a blast.20 wpm and up makes for more fluid contacts, but by no means is any more of a thrill than a QSO with a slower op.

I won't hesitate to talk with you from 5 wpm up. I might think twice below 5 wpm, but even the Codequick style packages will get you to 12 wpm with no problem. If after six months you're getting nowhere with the method ur using, change methods. We don't all process the code the same way. Some of us learned to read early, others bided their time. But after grade school it's usually hard to tell the difference when, how or who taught you.

Nate

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »

I like Morse Runner.

Instant feedback on your accuracy.

It simulates interactive QSOs like a contest environment, with user-selected options for lids, flutter, QRN, pileups, etc.

If you get the virtual OM's call sign wrong, he sends it again. You can almost hear his patience, or impatience, as he repeats, "DE xxxxx. If you ask him to send again, he will. It is very realistic, in my view.

And it is FUN. It is a real blast.

My copy improved dramatically with this software.
K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »

Thanks all for the input and words of encouragement. I found on morselearner I can type the letter and listen to the Morse code. I am going to quite practicing sending for a while until I get my recieve skills up.

K4PRP
N5YFC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »

Learn by listening - sending is nothing once you can copy code. No matter what program you use to learn, spend some time every day copying.

When you learn by sending - you will not be able to copy.  You will have to relearn by copying and it will be harder.

Wayne
N5YFC
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »

I started out with the CD course from the ARRL. It sent characters of 13wpm at 5wpm. Then I started practicing with the ARRL 5wpm practice files. I found that I wasn't gaining speed or experience, since I was anticipating the completion of words, and numbers/procedurals were still giving me problems. Additionally, I couldn't find any live QSOs on my receiver at 5wpm.

I decided to use the G4FON trainer, and that's what I'm doing now. I set the character speed at 20wpm. I tried the sending speeds of 15wpm and 12wpm and couldn't handle them. Oh, I was recognizing the characters OK, but 50 years of bad writing habits showed me that I can't write that fast! I can handle 10wpm, so I'm doing that. Maybe, after writing practice, if my writing speed goes up (and my hand stops cramping up), I'll try a higher speed, but I figure if I can learn 10wpm, I can get on the air without testing the old-timers' patience.

Hopefully, with experience, I can read whole words and not just individual characters, but I'm not there yet.

I recently upgraded to Extra. Am I going to get flak if I try to initiate a 10wpm QSO on the Extra CW portions of the band?

-- Tom
KB7GL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »

"I recently upgraded to Extra. Am I going to get flak if I try to initiate a 10wpm QSO on the Extra CW portions of the band?"

You'll get flak only from those you probably wouldn't want to talk to in other circumstances. As an Extra, you have as much right to be there as anyone.

A recommendation: Check 7114 MHz; SKCC members frequently hang out there for slow speed CW contacts.

Join SKCC (free) and FISTS. Good groups. SKCC emphasizes the use of mechanical keys.

73, Vic KB7GL
K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »

N5YFC, you got that right-learn by copying code. I'm so frustrated right now. I have been practicing copying, and I have gotten better, but it just isn't clicking and improving much; or fast. I can send pretty darn good I think, because when I see the written characters, or see them in my head I know their sound and rattle it off.  But the reverse is not happening for me because the ears are not triggering the brain. Now it's like an obsession and I hardly turn on the radio anymore.

K4PRP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: