Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rotator for 4 ele Cubex Quad.  (Read 1655 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »

After much thought and a lot of questions etc, I have finally decided that a 4 ele Cubex quad for 20 15 10 on a 30 foot boom looks like the way to go.

I have a tilt over 50 foot tower, and it all fits in nicely with the very loose planning requirements for a rural property.

BUT, what about the rotator, have always used ArmStrong Mk3 before, but would like to have one of these new fangled electric rotators :-)

Am swinging (excuse the pun) between Yaesu 2800, the Alfasud or a Big Boy rotator.

I hear a lot of woes about rotator failures so dont want to join them with a very expensive failed unit.

Anybody got any comments??

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

Love my Alfa Spid rotator.  Hated the controller though, so I replaced it with a Green Heron RT-21.  Awesome combination.  Ramp up start and ramp down stop feature is great.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

I'm cheap, I rotate my 50' tubler tower and 2 element quad on top with a CD45II by using a TB3 thrust bearing. Been turning the whole mess now for 8 years with no problems.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

Thanks for the info, just noticed I put Alfa sud, always fancied one of those cars in my younger free'er days.

I have seen 2 ele quads rotated with some fairly small units, but this 4 ele looks like a whole different ball game.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
NN4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

I'm using the Yaesu G-2800DXA for my Cubex 3 el 5 band on a MA-850 crankup/tiltover tower.     I have 3 of the DX-2800s ( 1 is at least 10 years old) and all work FB.

Pix of the antenna and tower on my QuadLock page.

http://www.nn4zz.com/quadlock.htm

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »

Lookup rotordoc.com

He has good prices on suprebly reconditioned units. Could neber tell from new, and BETTER than new parts. N8DJB is a good guy and a good businessman to boot.

73 Doug
NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »

I have seen 2 ele quads rotated with some fairly small units, but this 4 ele looks like a whole different ball game.

I would say so. That is a heavy array with plenty of torque potential in gusty winds. The rotor choice depends on what sort of winds you get at your location. Is it coastal, with daily wind and frequent gales? Or more inland and mostly calm with maybe only one big blow per year? If it is more of the former, I would offer that perhaps none of the above will last for long. I have managed to destroy plenty of supposedly strong units with not so big yagis. The last choice has been a prop pitch motor, and it seems to be capable of taking constant stress like nothing else. If you can rehabilitate one with your own skills, based on the info available on the net, it can also be much cheaper.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

I have the Orion 2800 along withe the GH controller.  Both are built to last a lifetime.

Jonathan W6GX
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »

We are inland, flat location, the only real windy days we get are from the SW and there is a big row of trees (Poplars) so they provide some wind break in the summer, not so much in the winter, BUT we do get weather events as they politely call them ,which are Tropical Depressions that come down from the Islands and they can blow like hell, so its a case of batten down then.

Have been looking at some of the rotators and they are all gold dust, at least that is the price of them.

Have dug around in the depths of the garage and found a very nice 36v motor with a reducing gearbox already on it, gives 8 RPM, and I have a very neat 10:1 worm drive gearbox as well, so it may come down to a bit of home brew.

Had a look at my pipe tower and it is hollow all the way down, so might try putting a  thrust bearing on the top, and run a long pipe down through it, and make up a rotator at ground level.

Am going to get hold of Rotordoc, he has own label rotators that look pretty good.

Thanks all

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »

Gavin, one thing you might need to consider depending on which tower you have, will the rotor have enough room to nest inside the tower.  I have a US Tower TMM 541SS and a G800DXA just barely fit inside the tower and it seem that was the only rotor that would fit.  I also have another US Tower HDX-572 with a 3 element 5 band Cubex quad using a G1000 DXA and it turns the quad easily but I had to research the specs of the rotor and the quad to make sure the rotor could handle the quad.  Also, there's lot of room in this tower for the rotor.  Just something to think about.
Randy
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »

Mine are both Home Brew Pipe Towers, so its just a stub of 2 1/2 sticking out of the top.

Best mast I ever saw was a 60ft light pole at VK3AYI, he had towed it home in one long piece :-)

This was many years ago before things got so precious Hi.   

NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »

I have worked a few ZL's that have home brewed rotor systems. ZL1BOS for example. If you can manage the bottom situated rotor location, that would be the best. Do it right and do it once. I wish I had known what was right when I started!

Yours can be tough antenna to keep up. I have talked to several hams that say the 4 element quad was the best antenna they ever had. "Had" as in past tense.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

The "best" antenna I ever had access to was a full size LP up at 300 feet, now that was an antenna :-)

Know what you mean about ""had"" I have no intention of loosing this baby.   I am getting my fathers (sk) 3 ele wide spaced 20M beam to go on another shorter tower.

According to the planning regs I can have up to 5 masts, upto 15 meters high on this block.  So am going for it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: