Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I should wake up properly next time!  (Read 4214 times)
2E0OZI

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

Came down this morning at 6:20AM a bit bleary eyed and turned on the radio, tuned to 30m and heard OE6JTD so came back to him. He was 579 and he gave me a 559 and then said DX PSE. OOOPS!! I had not been fully awake and had missed his call of DX..... Roll Eyes

I'm learning.  Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »

It would seem that "DX" is a relative term.  For me, here in Washington state, both you and the OE would be DX in my book.  Canada (particularly the East Coast entities) would qualify, as would Mexico.

What's "DX" in Europe?  I never thought of it....

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »

Hi Pat,

I have the impression that DX is "outside of Europe" for European hams, so I made a mistake. Live and learn.

Scott

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

Don't let that incident be a source of distress.  No malice intended. Keep up the positive attitude.  We are ALL learning.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

It's rather odd here in the USA where a contact from Maine to Hawaii is 5,250 miles and still legally one nation and so possibly might cause a grumble if they are calling CQ DX and another American answers.  OTOH, when I was operating in Europe, I had a huge variety of countries and languages within easy reach.  "DX" is in the 'ear' of the beholder. 

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

Ps. Please enjoy a fine , dark pint for me in absentia .  We in the U.S.A. may have put a man on the moon, but we still have no idea what a fine, dark draught is.   Huh

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

It's rather odd here in the USA where a contact from Maine to Hawaii is 5,250 miles and still legally one nation and so possibly might cause a grumble if they are calling CQ DX and another American answers.  OTOH, when I was operating in Europe, I had a huge variety of countries and languages within easy reach.  "DX" is in the 'ear' of the beholder. 

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

Ps. Please enjoy a fine , dark pint for me in absentia .  We in the U.S.A. may have put a man on the moon, but we still have no idea what a fine, dark draught is.   Huh

"...in the ear of the beholder", indeed!  In the summer of 1993 I operated for a few hours at the QTH of Mr. Simo Hoikka in Singapore.  He was "Mr. Nokia" for Southeast Asia at the time and I worked him just a few hours before my flight to the Far East.  Of course, I had to use his call (9V1YW) - but one little CQ produced about four hours of non-stop DX.  Whenever a Finnish station called, he would jump in, using the Finn version of "Morse".  And I was handling all the JAs with wabun.

Prefixes I never heard before, or since!  All of Africa!  If I'd died right then I'd have lived happily ever after.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:46:53 AM »

Yes its not as if I live in the incredibly rare "G" prefix area.... Roll Eyes Grin Last night was a bit of a washout but I would like to try and help fellow newbies in the US this afternoon for the Rookie Roundup. See if I can add to my meagre tally of US CW contacts.

George Orwell
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:52 AM »

It would seem that "DX" is a relative term.  For me, here in Washington state, both you and the OE would be DX in my book.  Canada (particularly the East Coast entities) would qualify, as would Mexico.

What's "DX" in Europe?  I never thought of it....

If you look on the "DX" forum, there are flabbergasted folks who are surprised that some US hams work the same C6 (Bermuda) twice (on different days), and don't even know they did something WRONG. They swear up and down that one of the worst things you can ever do is work the same station twice and that it illustrates incompetence on multiple levels. And heaven forbid you should actually start chatting with the guy beyond "599".

Of course, look at it from the perspective of someone in India or Thailand, and that C6 is probably rare DX, and from the perspective on the guy renting the contest station in C6, he would rather be working VU or E2.

Tim.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:54:51 AM »

this afternoon for the Rookie Roundup.

It even seems to run at remarkably civilized hours for us over here - 6pm to midnight. Wink

I guess there's even a chance that some of the Morse won't be too fast to follow. Mind, anyone's guess what bands will play ball. At present the higher bands aren't playing, so I guess 20 metres is the best bet. (I need to re-think my antennas...)

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »

Oh I think about mine all the time - just never get around to improving it! Had a qso with F5DE this afternoon so that was good but tough going due to my barn door filter. SSB style.  Roll Eyes

George Orwell
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

just never get around to improving it!

I have a hankering for a beam of some sort. At the moment my antennas are not particularly good for DX. I've got a cobweb to cover 20-10, and it doesn't do badly, but it's a compromise. So is the vertical that covers 160/80/40. It's tunable on 60, 30 and 20-10, but it's not that wonderful on those bands, and it picks up the local noise rather too well. I might just have space for a hexbeam, if I'm careful. Then the DX might stand a chance.

As for "What is DX?" One (or more) of the SOTA folk love to point out that it depends mightily on the band you're using. Get into GHz territory, and DX might mean the next hill over. Wink
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

...and reversebeacon.net was reporting quite a few stations working at under 20wpm on 20metres earlier, but my compromise of an antenna system wasn't quite catching them.

Now, WSPRnet indicates that the trans-Atlantic path for 20 metres isn't playing any more.
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:59:46 AM »

Every body, who is on a 3000 KM range or on an other continent is considered a DX.
I never call CQ DX, because I am more in to rag chew then DX. Not to mention calling DX is silly, because if the DX hears you.. will calls you anyway, but if not! why bother calling CQ DX at first place? Jut to state that "I DON'T LIKE TO QSO WITH EUROPEANS"  :-)
I hear many stations here in EU making endless CQ DX calls, but no reply by DX at all. Yet they won't talk to any other EU stations :-)

73 Imi HA7AP
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »

It is quite easy:

Every station with less the 1 % presence in your  band watching  on the average band population is DX for you.

So when you are a W.. /MM  station and able to work Peter and Paul Rock PY0S which is within 2 miles of your ship, its DX.
Sure it is. Push that pile up of the whole planet under your signal as a last come first serve action.  And give them a real 5nn. Add that it is a real report, because 5nn is a lie in general, so you have to mention explicitly that its real 599.

Or guys that are planning to end their life by jumping for a train, or down from a roof, they can start to operate from North Korea.
North Korea P5, for example, doesn't allow any of its citizens to own amateur radio equipment or disseminate information outside the country by any means. I believe the punishment is death for breaking that law.  So it is a nicer method then suicide as your last do-it-yourself-activity. No chance to end up in a wheelchair due to lack of experience in this field.

When you work on 30 GHz , where you can watch the eternal noise fields, the heaven for all radio amateurs, dx is your neighbour ham who transmits CW there, according to the definition.

Bob the sole genuine PAoBLAH
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:17:50 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: