About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Area ?  (Read 445 times)
K7PEH

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »

While driving down the freeway this morning I answered a CQ FISTS.  We did the FISTS numbers exchange and then he sends me an area, which I missed as traffic was getting heavy and spoiling my focus,  and he then asks for my area.  I am not sure what he was referring to.  Since I was  getting into heavy traffic, I had to QRT so I could not ask him what he meant by area.

So, what is this area exchange all about.  I have been a FISTS member for almost two years and this is the first time I was asked for an area during a FISTS exchange.  It could have been my call sign area but I didn't think that was it as I did give him my QTH as Washington state which is prime 7-land.

Area?
KC2MJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »

it is a new award from FISTS you can achieve in 2009. I quote directly from the 'rules', "Goal: To chat with hams who live in 100 different telephone area code districts. The area codes may be anywhere in the world, and the hams include all legally licensed operators. Contacts must be valid two-way Morse code contacts made on any of the legal ham bands."

Go to the FISTS website from more details. http://www.fists.org/09-CW-Phone.html
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »

I don't suppose that they considered that many urban areas the area codes are not exclusively geographic, that some areas do not have wired telephone service, or that area codes change routinely. This makes it hard to designate a location to the area code.

What is the local telephone service for the next 5 upcoming IOTA DX locations?

And QTH for example, the following area codes are used:

There are so many area codes world wide that "100" is almost meaningless. It does not imply geographic coverage.

There are several problems with that idea. I had considered FISTS, but if this is an indication of what it is about, I'll pass. Racking up points for telephone area codes seems a bit silly to me, but it is just my opinion.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:16:21 AM »

K5END writes: "I don't suppose that they considered that many urban areas the area codes are not exclusively geographic, that some areas do not have wired telephone service, or that area codes change routinely. This makes it hard to designate a location to the area code."

That's not really the point, though. Indeed, the term "area code" is somewhat of an oxymoron, because they're not necessarily geographical!

K5END: "And QTH for example, the following area codes are used:

There are so many area codes world wide that "100" is almost meaningless. It does not imply geographic coverage."

Nor is it meant to.

K5END: "There are several problems with that idea. I had considered FISTS, but if this is an indication of what it is about, I'll pass. Racking up points for telephone area codes seems a bit silly to me, but it is just my opinion."

I think you're missing the point.

Award-hunting is simply a form of friendly sport. It's a game, really, whether one it's about county hunting, working all states, continents, zones, etc., or upping one's DXCC totals.

And like all games, many of the rules are arbitrary, designed simply to define what the game is. Look at football or baseball, for example. Or at non-amateur activities such as bird-watching, coin or stamp collecting, etc.

"Radiosport", which IMHO constitutes both contesting and award-hunting, is a good part of amateur radio - and FISTS. But it's only one part, not what those things are all about. If you like it, fine, if not, that's fine too.

73 de Jim, N2EY  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: