The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF simplex nets?  (Read 3468 times)
KF5EGM

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

Where can I find an up to date list of vhf/uhf simplex nets in my area? A friend is giving me a vx8r so I'll finally have 6. I was thinking of getting/building an amp (depending on cost) for 6 if there is enough going on. I'm burned out on repeaters but I can't really afford another radio (and won't be able to in the near future - I can barely feed myself most weeks) any time in the future.
So does anyone know of any simplex nets going on that I might be able to join? I live in central FL.
KD5BVX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »

Where can I find an up to date list of vhf/uhf simplex nets in my area? A friend is giving me a vx8r so I'll finally have 6. I was thinking of getting/building an amp (depending on cost) for 6 if there is enough going on. I'm burned out on repeaters but I can't really afford another radio (and won't be able to in the near future - I can barely feed myself most weeks) any time in the future.
So does anyone know of any simplex nets going on that I might be able to join? I live in central FL.

Your best bet would be to get with a local club and talk to some of the members there. 

Mark / KD5BVX
Arkansas
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:42:25 AM »

6 is the "magic band".  It's often quiet until there is an opening.  Beams are usually the best way to go on 6, although you might have some luck with a dipole.
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »

I used to run a 6m FM net on Simplex. First don't waste time and resources on an amp for an HT. Get a mobile. There are used VHF rigs that can be programmed/modified for 6fm that do 50w-100w. There are plenty of HF/6m rigs on the market. I used the FT8900 from my truck to run the net from a hill.

Next spend money building a beam or a loop. Horizontal polarization is what the majority of 6m folks use. If you must be vertical, buildings a coat hanger 6m quarter wave is the same process as the 2m coat hanger quarter wave but bigger.

Finally, make a point of getting to SSB one day. You absolutely can make DX contacts on 6m FM. I had a friend who modified a "space commander" type 49 MHz walkie talkie for 52.525. It did a whopping 1/2watt. Still from Western Mass he worked St. Louis. Problem is, convincing folks to get on FM. Best DX is on CW and SSB so that is where 95% of folks stay.

Good luck! I hope to work you!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »

I used to run a 6m FM net on Simplex. First don't waste time and resources on an amp for an HT. Get a mobile. There are used VHF rigs that can be programmed/modified for 6fm that do 50w-100w. There are plenty of HF/6m rigs on the market. I used the FT8900 from my truck to run the net from a hill.

Next spend money building a beam or a loop. Horizontal polarization is what the majority of 6m folks use. If you must be vertical, buildings a coat hanger 6m quarter wave is the same process as the 2m coat hanger quarter wave but bigger.

Finally, make a point of getting to SSB one day. You absolutely can make DX contacts on 6m FM. I had a friend who modified a "space commander" type 49 MHz walkie talkie for 52.525. It did a whopping 1/2watt. Still from Western Mass he worked St. Louis. Problem is, convincing folks to get on FM. Best DX is on CW and SSB so that is where 95% of folks stay.

Good luck! I hope to work you!
  FM DX can be fun!  When the band is wide open, I've even heard some "Freebanders" talking across the pond to UK CBers on the European FM CB channels.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:25:54 PM by ONAIR » Logged
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »

FM DX can be fun!  When the band is wide open, I've even heard some "Freebanders" talking across the pond to UK CBers on the European FM CB channels.

I agree, just not enough folks willing to go up on FM sadly.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

146.490 FM in McMinn County TN. More traffic in the evenings. Covers the whole county.
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »

I agree, just not enough folks willing to go up on FM sadly.

I admit that I spend most of my 6 meter time on CW/SSB. However, I'm up for some 6 meter simplex FM, as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: