Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honda CRV Antenna  (Read 2280 times)
K2QPN

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »

I want to install 144/440 rig in my 2012 Honda CRV. I was thinking of mounting the antenna on the top of the rear hatch. That would place the ham antenna less than 2 feet from the AM/FM radio antenna and the mobile rig puts out 45 watts. I am worried about damaging the AM/FM radio. Should I find another place for the ham antenna?

73 Bob K2QPN
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »

It shouldn't harm the radio.  I put a 2meter 440 radio in a 2010 Toyota PRIUS.  The antenna is about a foot from the FM antenna.  I keep the power level down to medium (25 watts).  This may cut up  broadcast reception, but it probably won't destroy the car's receiver.
Bear in mind, I emphasize PROBABLY.

Hope this helps
WB2EOD
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:20 AM »

I want to install 144/440 rig in my 2012 Honda CRV. I was thinking of mounting the antenna on the top of the rear hatch. That would place the ham antenna less than 2 feet from the AM/FM radio antenna and the mobile rig puts out 45 watts. I am worried about damaging the AM/FM radio. Should I find another place for the ham antenna?

73 Bob K2QPN

My dualbander is closer than that. Other than desense on the car radio when I transmit, everything is OK.
K1RC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

I have a dual band antenna on the hatch of my Dodge Journey and a Screwdriver HF antenna on the
opposite side of the hatch. 50w on VHF/UHF and 100w on HF doesn't bother my AM/FM radio at all.

Just take care on how you run the coax to your radio. Be sure it doesn't get pinched or crushed
when opening/closing the rear hatch.

73 John K1RC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: