Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 312B-4 Hardware Needed  (Read 979 times)
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:41 AM »

I am trying to replace the yellowed plastic trim ring on my 312B-4 station console with a properly colored metal trim ring. All went well until trying to screw the faceplate back on. The metal trim ring does not have the threaded inserts for the screws as found in the plastic version. I tried some u-nuts from the local Lowe’s Hardware but they are much too big to fit on the rail of the trim ring.

Questions: Did Collins use u-nuts or something else to accept the front panel screws? Where can I get four of whatever it is they used? 

I have considered epoxying four nuts on the ring but would prefer to stay with the original design if possible.

Thanks & 73
Jack – WA2OLZ
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »

It's been a while since I looked at the fastenings.  How about captive nuts, like the attached from Graingers?  Lots of sizes.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/captive-nuts/nuts/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8lf?Ndr=basedimid10071&sst=subset
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

you can also get them from Fastenal.com as blind self-clinching press-fit nuts.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/Search.ex?action=productSearch&searchterm=press+nut
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

EDIT & UPDATE
Many thanks for all of the helpful online comments emails sent to help me out. There were lots of interesting ideas, most of which I would never have thought of on my own!
The fix was a bag of small size 6-32 spring u-nuts from Home Depot and matching black 6/32 screws. The clips were actually a millimicron (or some small amount) too long to center on the frame holes, so the stock Collins screws would quite fit. The self starting pointed screws from HD worked perfectly.

Thanks again and best 73 to all
Jack - WA2OLZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: