Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you own a Solar Panel for QRP or Prepping?  (Read 13814 times)
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

After some of the weather events that hit us and seeing some things we take for granted get interrupted for quite some time, I have been adding some supplies so that I could be self-sustaining for a little while at my house. I need to improve my water supply. Just curious, what back packers hand operated water filter do you have? I have a river in my back yard.. that could make a good source of water if properly filtered.
I bought the Katadyn Pocket.  I freaked a bit at the price of just under $300.  But, it seems like the right tool for the job.  It is hand operated, so I do not need a power source. It pumps about 1 quart/minute.  It has a .2 micron cleanable ceramic filter. It is small and portable, and can be easily carried in a back pack. It has a 20 year warranty.  The reviews posted by folk who understand these products were consistently high. I have a lake in my back yard, and this would clean the water of bacteria and protozoa and from what they say, I could drink it after filtration without problems.  I studied this purchase, and this seemed like the best choice. Humans have about a three day life span without water, so a water source seems like a high priority item.  This would give me and my family a water supply for months without any power source or cartridge replacement since the cartridge can be cleaned and re-used. Again, my "plan" is simply to survive in my home without outside support.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »

After some of the weather events that hit us and seeing some things we take for granted get interrupted for quite some time, I have been adding some supplies so that I could be self-sustaining for a little while at my house. I need to improve my water supply. Just curious, what back packers hand operated water filter do you have? I have a river in my back yard.. that could make a good source of water if properly filtered.

I picked up a Sterri-pen last fall when they were on sale at Costco. Haven't tried it out yet, but the reviews are mostly good. I think it is going to be a little easier to operate, runs on AA cells (so potentially solar powered), and for where I live should work.

Downsides: It seems a little fragile, and won't do anything to filter chemicals/oils/etc, just biological nasties. I live in an area with a lot of snowmelt streams, so I don't think chemicals are as big a problem (although I kept my pump filter). I'm fairly paranoid about drinking water, so I might just do both as a belt and suspenders fix. I've heard that filters can actually make things worse becoming a breeding ground for microbes if you're not careful (which I'm not Wink)
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »

I picked up a Sterri-pen last fall when they were on sale at Costco. Haven't tried it out yet, but the reviews are mostly good. I think it is going to be a little easier to operate, runs on AA cells (so potentially solar powered), and for where I live should work.

.........I'm fairly paranoid about drinking water, so I might just do both as a belt and suspenders fix. I've heard that filters can actually make things worse becoming a breeding ground for microbes if you're not careful (which I'm not Wink)
This is a good tip.  I took a look at the Sterri-pen, and I agree it cannot hurt to treat filtered water a second time.  Also, I started looking at carbon filters as the last step to remove odors, and some chemicals.  So, to use your analogy, belt, suspenders and clean underwear.  Using the Katadyne, then the Sterri-pen, then a carbon filter.  It is also possible to chemically treat water or boil it, but those methods need supplies that can be limited.  I am also looking into a solar still to distill water, probably the cleanest you can ever get it.  I do not see anything interesting yet.  But the price of the Sterri-pen and carbon filters is reasonable. 

Linking this all back to Ecomm,  I do not know why the amateur radio Ecomm emphasis is on teaming up with first responders and government.  While that is important, every neighborhood needs ordinary communication during a crisis.  My "prepping" emphasis is on survival in my own home without outside support, and I would extend that to my neighbors, at least the communication component.  I would have zero problem communicating from my home for an indefinite amount of time, in an emergency, passing messages and email to others and so on.  Due to the hostility between some HOAs and ham radio, bringing Ecomm to the level of helping your neighbor, and letting the HOA organize the effort may lower the hostility. I hesitate to go tell them who I am, BUT I would not worry if my local ham radio club approached them, made the contact and arrangements, and then revealed my identity as the provider at the last possible moment in an emergency so that I can keep my anonymity and hidden antennas hidden.

I will be sipping nice clean cool water when they come knocking at my door. I might even offer them a sip if they are nice to me.

Rene - WA6MJE
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »

Ok, here is what I purchased today to add to the Katadyn filter.  SteriPEN makes a hand crank-able device called the Sidewinder.  No batteries needed.  I bought one for $75. Zerowater seems to have the best additional five step filtration system, so I bought the Zerowater ZD-023 23 cup storage unit with a package of 8 additional filters. I mainly wanted to filter through a carbon filter, and found that the Zerowater beat out the Pur or Brita filters, and is overkill, but I bought it anyway.

So, I would take lake water from behind my house, pump it using the Ketadyn Pocket into the Zerowater ZD-023 23 cup unit where it will undergo five more levels of filtration including carbon to remove odors.  From that I would pour into the 1 liter SteriPEN Sidewinder container, and turn the crank for 90 seconds neutralizing whatever else that might be dangerous.  If these three steps do no deliver potable water, I give it up.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: