Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-82 / IC-746PRO  (Read 4594 times)
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 03:10:43 AM »

Well OK, the radio is not the problem.  It looks like the relay in the amp is not clicking in when you short the wires together.  As some others mentioned you need to do 2 more things before you will have to open up the amp and go inside it.  First, make sure the phono connector is making good connection then measure the voltage on the center wire to ground and see if you have about 12vdc.  Make sure front panel switch is in operate.  If you read 12v then something wrong inside perhaps a bad relay.   If you do not read 12v, the problem is still inside the amp. Once inside the amp you will have to trace out the circuit and see where the fault is.  You did not say if the amp ever worked or if you just got and it did not work.  The problem can not be that serious since it is a simple circuit to troubleshoot.  Worse case is the relay is bad, could be a bad switch or may be a bad LED on front panel.  I think the LED is in series with the relay and if it opens the relay will not work.  A few voltage checks and the problem should turn up quickly.
W8PO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »

Ok thanks for the info. I bought the amp from a ham in FL over a year ago and did not get my station on the air here until this past summer. So I never had a chance to see the amp working. I will do the checking u suggest and see if I can trace the bugger down. Thanks for the ideas.
Larry W8PO

Merry Christmas everyone!
W8PO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »

I checked the DCV between the center and GRD and nothing.....no voltage present and amp was in OPR mode.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »

Need to check the standby operate switch.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: