Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small footprint HF antenna....  (Read 6656 times)
KC7KLZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »

This sounds great.  I'm still trying to picture it in my mind.  The wire is wrapped around the 13 foot pipe.  Then it is mounted horizontally on the balcony railing.  One end of the wire is attached to a 1:1 balun on one end, and the other end of the balun is a series of radials that are either hung over the balcony or laid on the deck.  This would effectively act as the other side of a dipole.  Then it is fed into the radio via a coax, and tuned with an ATU.  I might have to give this one a shot.  I can't lay the radials over the side of the balcony, but If I were to mount the pipe higher up on the upper roof, then run the radials down one of the side walls, would that be as effective?? 

'73

Eric

KC7KLZ / VE7KLZ   
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »

No no!  Mount the pipe as a vertical, and the wire is wound on as a 'helical' element.  If you look in any of the antenna text books you should find various versions of 'helical vertical' antennas.  In my case I have been able to drop some of the longer radial wires over the side of the balcony: I have 14 radials and some of them are just sitting between the decking planks.. The balun will help to bring the feed-point impedance down to something manageable, and the choke should help with TV interference and common-mode currents on the outside of the coax feeder.  You will certainly need an ATU to get it to work.  I have had great success  even running just 50watts.
Good luck!

M5AEO

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: