Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOUXUN HANDHELD DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS 8  (Read 13996 times)
W3EK

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

Am unable to download usb drive or software for Wouxun 144/440 handheld. Am running Windows 8. Any help? Thanks- Rich W3EK
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

You're going to find that Windows 8 is so different that not too many ham radio programs will run on it.  Windows 8 is made to be simple because of the projected downfall of the personal computer.  I tried it when it came out on beta test--and promptly got rid of it.  

Stick with Windows 7.  You'll be happier.

Added--BTW, the "Computers and software" forum may be a better place to ask this question. 73!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »

You did not say which one of those cheapo toys you got. Check out the Yahoo groups. I know from the Baofeng UV-5R group that they are very knowledgeable and supportive.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »

Hams don't let friend use Windows Vista, 7, or 8.............. LONG LIVE XP!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »

Good idea!
So may I ask you to suggest a software that does the job under Linux.  Grin
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

What a bunch of unhelpful and ignorant replies!  What about the people who buy new PCs and have no choice other than Windows 8 that comes installed?

The software to program the Wouxun and Baeofung radios has no problem with Windows 8.  The problem is that the programming cables use a serial to USB chip whose driver is not yet supported in Windows 8.  Windows 8 drivers, like Windows 7 64 bit drivers must be signed with a security certificate.  The are slight changes in how the driver developer needs to sign their Windows 8 drivers as compared to Windows 7.  Unfortunately, the manufacturers have not updated their drivers for Windows 8.  You can install the Windows 7 64 bit drivers on Windows 8, but you have to enable driver test mode in Windows which is a PITA.  Other than enabling driver test mode in Windows 8, the only thing you can do right now is program your units on a XP or Windows 7 machine, or wait until the manufacturer of the cables updates the drivers for Windows 8.

For those who get new computers with Windows 8, but don't like the UI changes, download the free open source Classic Shell program which gives you back your start button, menus, and causes Windows 8 to boot directly into the desktop like Windows 7.  Using this program, you will not be able to tell the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 unless you look closely.  Windows 8 is considerably faster than Windows 7, so it is a worthwhile upgrade and you can make it look like Windows 7 UI with Classic Shell.

Gene
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:06:57 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »

What a bunch of unhelpful and ignorant replies!  

It is always a pleasure to see a competent and knowledgeable answer. Especially if it is expressed as politely and carried by good manners.

I can not say if this also applies to the Wouxon radios. For the Baofeng you don't need a Win 8 driver, quite the contrary you would have to use an older one. Prolific 3.2.0.0 is the recommended driver from Baofeng and is now included on their software CD. It may be similar for the Wouxon at least if you'd use the Chirp software.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »

It is always a pleasure to see a competent and knowledgeable answer. Especially if it is expressed as politely and carried by good manners.

I can not say if this also applies to the Wouxon radios. For the Baofeng you don't need a Win 8 driver, quite the contrary you would have to use an older one. Prolific 3.2.0.0 is the recommended driver from Baofeng and is now included on their software CD. It may be similar for the Wouxon at least if you'd use the Chirp software.

This is only incidental to the USB to serial chip used in these interface cables.  It has nothing to do with the programming software since the software, whether manufacturer supplied or Chirp, only thinks it is talking to a serial COM port.  Any serial to USB cable would work if it has the correct electrical connections to the Wouxon or Baofeng radios.  Unfortunately, the commonly available cables for these radios use the Prolific or Prolific clone chip, and the driver for this chip is not yet updated for Windows 8.  

You could make you own cable out of USB to serial converter that is known to work on Windows 8 (this is what I have done) and it will then work with any of the programming software out there.  I use Chirp.  If you are not willing to do this, you will have to wait until the available programming cables have their drivers updated.  It is a simple fix to the driver signing requirements, but the manufacturers don't seem to be in any hurry to update the drivers.

Here's a schematic of a simple homemade programming cable for use with a serial port. http://www.kh-gps.de/888_10.jpg  If your computer with Windows 8 already (by some miracle) has a serial port, you are ready to go.  Otherwise, get a USB to serial converter cable that is known to work with Windows 8 and connect the above homemade cable to it.  Select the COM port in the programming software and go to town programming your Wouxon or Baofeng on Windows 8.  One USB to serial adapter known to work on Windows 8 is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OWNYA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=  The Windows 8 drivers are available for download from the manufacturers website at http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/708-usb-to-serial-converter.

Gene

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:39:31 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »

'JPP, Who the heck appointed YOU thread police?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:06:06 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »

'JPP, Who the heck appointed YOU thread police?

And who appointed you the KE5JPP response cop?  If you don't like what I post put me on ignore.

BTW, my response to the original poster's question was the only one on topic and helpful.  All you have posted is noise and nonsense!

Gene
AB9UU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:38 AM »

I am no computer geek but I have Windows 8 64 bit and all I did was use the old driver 3.2.0.0 from 2007 and it works with the old USB chip set without fault on my UVP1-P and 3-P.  The same issue developed when trying to program a scanner with a different but similar older USB cable.  Someone else had used the older driver for that cable and posted their solution.  Since I believe this cable has the same chip set in it, I used the same old driver with this Wouxun cable and ....voila. 
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »

Lucky you.
The problem with Win7 is the automatic update and thus killing of the old driver. May be you somehow avoided that or Win8 does not do it.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »

I have Windows 8 and a bunch of radio programs from RT-SYSTEM and a police scanner program and they work just fine  not to mention Scott's programs for contesting,and his log program
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »

...The problem with Win7 is the automatic update and thus killing of the old driver. May be you somehow avoided that or Win8 does not do it.

All you have to do is to turn OFF the 'automatic' updates and set your computer up to notify you that updates are available.  When you see the update shield on your shutdown button, simply run either Windows update or Microsoft update and select the 'Custom' button on it to eliminate the 'killing' of the old driver.  Just deselect the update and your old driver will remain.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »

One of the major problems with cables using the "Prolific" chipset is that there are so many fake/counterfeit chips around. Prolific has rewritten their drivers to do some checking of the chip, and if it detects a fake, the driver refuses to load, and the cable stops working.

The older versions of the Prolific driver didn't make this check, and would work.

When Windows does an automatic update, it replaces the old driver you had with the newer one, and the problems begin.

Linux doesn't seem to care about this, and the Chinese cable I have for my UV-5RE works fine with Linux and Chirp, but fails to load the driver with Windows 7.

A different cable I bought that uses the FTDI chipset works fine with Windows and Linux.

Valley Enterprises sells cables with the FTDI chipset if you're interested.

http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: