Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning CW, need advice  (Read 6923 times)
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

Hello Scott,

I usually get to Europe when the bands are open, even with my puny 6W (I use a mantic loop).. If you'd like to try... It would have to be at , say, 7am for you, 6am been even better, on 40m...

Gil.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »

Hi Mate, yeah 6AM would be possible on a weekend if I slept in the downstairs bedroom by myself.  Wink

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »

LOL, well, 8 might work... If I go to bed after 2am.. Not unusual..

Gil.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »

Two words...Persistence and Patience.  Notice I put persistence first.  Put it into your mind that you are just going to do it every day.  You may need to take a day off occasionally, but don't worry about that.  It's kinda like basic training or fall football practice.  Keep honing your skills and above all, relax.  People don't become fine CW ops overnight.  It won't be long until you are making smooth QSOs.  When I first started, two or three Qs would make me so tired I had to rest.  That's why I mentioned fall practice because it's about building stamina and making newly acquired skills automatic and reflexive.  You can do this!  Rick, n5xm
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »

Try this web site for receiving practice, and sending example.
http://www.smrcc.org.uk/morse/morse.htm

When I was learning and out of the house I would send every road sign or shop sign I saw in morse in my head. Look fwd to a QSO.
Andrew
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

That is a neat site, enjoyed listening to the run through's.   Be careful sending/rxing with a friend its easy to enhance each others errors and end up with ingrained problems.

To learn Morse, takes time, nothing else at least an hour a day will see some good movement forward, from memory we used to do up to 2 hours a day at college.

If you read a paper dont read it in words read in morse, it is another language just like french german whatever, and practise is the only way to learn it.

Once learnt, it is never forgotten

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »

i have cd called:rhtym of the code i listen in my truck and copy in my head i too need to get back code again again i never get back in cw i use to it by heart and now rusty so bad trying to get back in !:)

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming Since 2001
General lic. Since 2007
Pass the code since 2006 before they drop code that is
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »

i have cd called:rhtym of the code i listen in my truck and copy in my head i too need to get back code again again i never get back in cw i use to know it by heart and now rusty so bad trying to get back in !:)

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming Since 2001
General lic. Since 2007
Pass the code since 2006 before they drop code that is
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

I suggest while all that your doing is good, it might be good to hook a decoder to monitor what you send[/u] so you can also see how well your sending. The speed comes from practice on the air. You already know the code and use it so use it more. I think it might be well if you got rid of you mike for a week ever so often. Don't worry about spelling as the only times it really matters if sending traffic in a net or some other important info. The trick is to spell it so the other end will understand what your trying to say. Use it as much or as little as what gives you the greatest satisfaction.
I enjoy this hobby because i use it how and when I feel like it and don't feel obliged to operate any one mode or another.
73 and enjoy. BTW first call was kn6clf in 1953. Had a number of others sincesince
Dick KH2G
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: