Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-817ND and BHI DSP (W4RT)  (Read 7029 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

I'm planning on getting an FT 817 with accessories.

Can the BHI DSP unit be used with headphones? Can it be used for CW or
is it for SSB only?

Is it worth getting the DSP AND the filters?

Thanks

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:26:56 AM »

I'm a little surprised that nobody who owns one of these DSP units has answered this yet.  I don't, but I thought I'd suggest that the people at W4RT can answer the middle two questions (headphones, and CW/SSB.)

I've got a stock 817-non-ND, and it's a lot of fun.  I don't know that I'd spend a fortune upgrading it, though, with a bunch of new competing rigs coming on the market.  If I were going to spend anything upgrading my own 817, I'd probably spend the money on a CW filter. But that's just MHO.

GL 73!  --ken
G0TUD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »

I have been using an early non-ND FT-817 for many years - the one upgrade I have fitted is the W4RT dual SSB and 500hz CW filters which really does make a difference.
I also use a BHI external speaker/DSP unit (normally set to position 2) which plugs into the FT-817 external speaker socket.
The external DSP speaker requires a 12volt supply and does have it's own headphone socket. It can also be used with any radio. The higher the setting on the DSP unit, the greater is the "warbling" sound effect and other artefacts, but background hiss is greatly removed (especially on AM) which reduces the fatigue from prolonged listening and you also get a useful external speaker which is better than the FT-817's own internal one. When "trawling" the bands I would normally not have DSP switched on, until I find a station of interest or have a QSO.
Hope this helps.
73's Alan G0TUD
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

is it for SSB only?

Thanks

I assume you are talking about the BHI DSP filter that mounts inside the FT-817.

The add on DSP filter works in both modes. If you look for the BHI DSP at www.w4rt.com there are sample mp3 files that lets you hear the improvement on both SSB and CW. However, this DSP is tailored for SSB. If you want better CW filtering, a narrow bandpass filter, something like a SCAF, might work better.

I'm looking at the installation manual and the DSP is installed after the audio amp but before the volume control so you should hear filter audio in your headphones.

If you are going to work more CW and digital, I think a plug-in Collins filter would be more effective.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »

Audio filtering (DSP or otherwise) is no substitute for a reasonably narrow IF filter. If you
want to operate CW on the FT-817 I suggest the 500 HZ IF filter.  From what I have seen
the BHI DSP doesn't work all that great on CW. If you are looking for DSP noise reduction
for SSB and CW I recommend that you visit the West Mountain Radio site and look at the
external CLRDSP or DSPspeaker (same DSP functionality for both). Both are external audio DSP
solutions but seem to work well (I have a CLRDSP on my birthday wish-list) and because
they are external they can be used on another rig, if you have one.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. I suggest you listen to the sample files that West Mountain has on their website .. it features audio recordings along with the same audio (SSB and CW signals) pumped through
the CLRDSP as well a couple of their competitors audio DSP solutions.

is it for SSB only?

Thanks

N0YG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »

Huh
I talked to Ralph by email with pretty much the same question. He said the BHI DSP is for reception and the 2.3 SSB filter or 500 CW filter are for both receive and transmit. I have the 2.3 SSB filter now and will soon add the BHI DSP inside the radio. Like another ham said go to www.w4rt.com and listen to the examples there and then you can make a knowledgeable and informed choice.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »

Just got my 817ND back with the BHI DSP.  What I can tell you about it is that it significantly reduces the S8 level noise and I can actually hear CW stations much better.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

I have no financial interest in W4RT but I have bought from them before. They sell great products and are perfectly willing to ring you up on the phone to talk with you if they have a supply issue with something you want (just a genuine person). If you talk with the BHI folks they will immediately refer you to W4RT if you are a US customer.

I like the BHI products, the plug-in external DSP speaker, the modules, whatever. I am very pleased with them and use them on an FT-857d in my car and on a few boat-anchors (R-390A and SP-600) at my operating position. It really does make SSB work very nice. Listen to the examples of how the audio processing works off of the W4RT web site.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: