Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS50 xcvr with erratic power out  (Read 2255 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

My TS50 works like a champ on 30 up thru 10 with no problems.  But, on 160-80-40m, the output will  often start out at 100w then at some point, minutes or hours later, begin to jump around,  sometimes 75w, sometimes 50, sometimes 25,  it goes back and forth.

Note: I used the radio mobile, mostly on 40 ssb, for years.  Once I had a similar problem  that was repaired by changing a T/R relay. 

But when I asked the same  Kenwood repair center what was wrong, they  said: 1. " an irrepairable mother board problem" Then after my 2nd email, they answered thusly: 2. " acid from a leaking capacitor onto a board (no replacement boards available so no can fix.) .

Almost sounds like  they dont want to work on it.

Any other repair suggestions? 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »

What, you think the techs at the other end of an email have working crystal ball? 

Seriously, that kind of thing is a shot in the dark, nobody should expect any suppositions about described symptoms to be a definitive.  It can't be.  Both responses could indeed cause the symptoms, as could a wide variety of other possible answers.  Maybe it is a bad power supply or bad connections to power.  Maybe it is due to a bad connection or internal grounding point gone south.  Or any one of quite a few possibilities. 

But knocking technicians that have not had the radio on their testbench isn't going to get your radio repaired.  Why so many these days immediately think that technicians are automatically in conspiracy to cheat them defies the fact that any service agency that treats customers in that fashion would not likely be able to stay in business for very long. 

More than likely it is again the T/R relay. 

If you open the rig, operate it on the testbench into a dummy load, then tap on the T/R relay with a pencil or small screwdriver handle, and you observe the power output changing with your tapping, either disassemble and clean the relay's contacts, or order up a new one and replace it.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

Looks to me if the T/R relay is working from "30 on up" it will work from 30 on down!  Since I have no idea how the different bands are selected (solid state switching - relay switching....) I'm not even going to guess.  However, since it starts out working OK then craps out after a bit of operation, it sounds like a heat related problem, or perhaps the PCB  that contains the 160, 80 and 40meter componets is making bad contact. 

WD is right on with his suggestion that you open the thing up and poke around and see if you can replicate the problem.  A pencil using the eraser end is good for this type of "probing."  If you are afraid the metal band on the pencil will short something out, put a strip of tape around it.

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »

I doubt if it's a relay. It could be as suggested a leaking cap on the Tx/Rx board (I have one on the bench now with leaking caps and lo to no power out) or it could be the DDS resistor packs. There are too many variables to pinpoint the problem without further tests.

Clif
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »

Thanks  for the suggestions.  After the holidays, when the company leaves, I am planning to pull it apart and see what I can find. Ive got a dummy load,  and a hammer to tap on things.
( just kidding about the hammer...)

From the sound of things, there arent any/many replacement boards for this rig still available.  Been a very nice, simple but effective rig for 15 yrs now.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »

Don't fret over replacement boards issue.  Likely not needed.  Why replace an entire board when very likely one or two components or a bad connection is the real issue? 

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »

Thanks, everyone for your time and thoughts.

Suggestions for a good, non-warranty  repair service technician for the Kenwood TS-50  are now being entertained.

Also am reviewing the eHam  service/repair listings.

Happy holidays.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »

Suggestions for a good, non-warranty  repair service technician for the Kenwood TS-50  are now being entertained.

That would be Clif, KA5IPF, in the above post. 

The man is a wonderful resource who freely shares his bench-proven knowledge on all things Kenwood, obviously an excellent repair technician source. 

Merry Christmas,

es 73
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »

hi,

please join other Kenwood TS-50 and TS-60 fans here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TS50/

Close to 1,000 members on the group.

http://www.avvid.com/   is one of the best for service.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: