Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 3 foot tall hamsticks  (Read 1134 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »

Bought one of the MFJ 3 foot tall mini hamsticks last weekend for a trip to Iowa on Sunday.  When with 17m because I figured the bandwidth wouldn't be too great for it, and I could cover both CW and SSB most likely, which probably wouldn't occur with the 20m model.

I didn't expect too much out of a 3 foot antenna, but this far exceeded my expectations.  Covers the whole 17m band with a good SWR.  Worked Belgium, England, Portugal, Siberia, Canada, and all corners of the US with it yesterday during our 13 hour trip. I was running only 40 watts or so since I had the Icom 706 plugged into the cigarette lighter. 

I was so pleased with its performance I think I am going to order the 20m version for when I have to go mobile during contest weekends (when you have a daughter in gymnastics you go to a lot of out of town meets).  Figure I can tune it for either CW or SSB, whatever the contest of the weekend is.

If you are wondering about these mini hamsticks, I can recommend it highly so far.

John AF5CC
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »

I have the 20 meter version of this antenna and it does work. Running 5 watts from an FT-817ND I had great fun during a car trip that coincided with great propagation. I did connect the shield of the coax at the antenna to the car body using a sheet metal screw.

I would not recommend this for everyday use but for working mobile in a rental car it's good enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: