Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ic-746 pro  (Read 3794 times)
K7TOM

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »

I just picked up a 746 pro and now I am reading about the design flaws for read out and transmit
Failures .
Can any one tell me how much it might cost to have all the mods done on this rig,(746pro)
I live in Seattle area so I am close to I-com head quarters .
I am retired so am just wondering.   Thanks,Tom/K7TOM
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »

Tom,

If I recall correctly not all of the 746 Pros have problems.  One of the more pervasive you might have read about is the IC-151 issue, but I believe later production runs of the 746 Pro addressed that.  If the rig is working fine, I wouldn't fix it until it breaks.  I have had a 746 Pro for about 4 years now (s/n 0207xxx) and it has not given any hint of a problem.   As far as cost to repair, I have no idea what Icom charges, but the authorized Icom facility in my area gets $65/hour.

Stephen
N5VTU
K7TOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Thank you for info. Tom
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:29 AM »

If it's not broken, don't fix it.  It will cost you just as much to fix it after (if) they fail than before.  They're not that hard to fix yourself if you want for just a few dollars' worth of parts.   Don't over analyze it, just use it.  For every 746 that had these problems there are many more that never have.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »

If it's not broken, don't fix it.  It will cost you just as much to fix it after (if) they fail than before.  They're not that hard to fix yourself if you want for just a few dollars' worth of parts.   Don't over analyze it, just use it.  For every 746 that had these problems there are many more that never have.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

This is very good advice.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

If it's not broken, don't fix it.  It will cost you just as much to fix it after (if) they fail than before.  They're not that hard to fix yourself if you want for just a few dollars' worth of parts.   Don't over analyze it, just use it.  For every 746 that had these problems there are many more that never have.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

This is very good advice.

I disagree in this case. Well, having owned a 746 non pro, and having fixed a couple IC-151 problems, I would recommended doing the diode mod. This seems to be the one that works best, according to Malcom Technical Support. http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/IC151Diodes.pdf

The other main failures are the driver failures, and the backlight failures. For these 2 problems, I would just wait until the problems occur. The driver problem is the least frequent of the failures. The IC-151 is notorious, and does happen on a high percentage. I would bite that one in the ass before it happens.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/746series.html
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

I repair nothing until it is actually broken. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »

I repair nothing until it is actually broken. 

That is fine. But this is a tech bulletin from Icom. And while I have not been in radio service, I have done service in other areas. I have always performed tech bulletins/hardware updates. This is where you and I disagree. This is a known hardware flaw, and should be addressed.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »

I know about that service bulletin.  

Here at the shop, it is addressed when a unit has been sent in for repair, whether or not the customer complaint is that problem.  As are most factory service bulletins and mods for most things.  Matter of fact, our computer system is set up to automatically flag units that have such.

In most cases, the factory does not reimburse the shop for performing factory service mods under warranty on units that were not sent with the specified complaint on the slip.  That can become problematic in parts and time economics for the shop owner/operator.  

BUT -- what about all those units out there that are never sent in for repair?  

Any kind of "surgery" leaves a footprint...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:07:04 PM by KE3WD » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »

We used to do it on as as needed or visited basis. I find it incredible that they would not reimburse you for that. But that is Icom and I am not surprised.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 06:41:02 AM »

We used to do it on as as needed or visited basis. I find it incredible that they would not reimburse you for that. But that is Icom and I am not surprised.

Stop with the myopia. 

I was speaking in the general and did not specify Icom at all.

ALL warranty contracts are much the same, regardless of brand or country of origin. 

And it is not a conspiracy.  The mfr's have to protect themselves from the financial abuses that some will indeed try to foist over on them at billing time...

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

Stop with the myopia. 

I was speaking in the general and did not specify Icom at all.

ALL warranty contracts are much the same, regardless of brand or country of origin. 

And it is not a conspiracy.  The mfr's have to protect themselves from the financial abuses that some will indeed try to foist over on them at billing time...

And the consumer has to protect himself from sales of flawed merchandise. Icom was known to repair units that were out of warranty  because of the bad press.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »

Just get on the air and enjoy the radio. I've had mine for 10 years now, zero problems.
Read the manual and learn and try some of the features of this neat radio!
I take mine to our ARES group's Field Day every year, and people love it, it gets
operated by all ages and experience, on SSB and CW. And you can do 100W on
all bands, even 2m !

Fred, KQ6Q
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »

And the consumer has to protect himself from sales of flawed merchandise. Icom was known to repair units that were out of warranty  because of the bad press.

And the affairs of Icom headquarters have what to do with stateside repair technicians? 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »

And the consumer has to protect himself from sales of flawed merchandise. Icom was known to repair units that were out of warranty  because of the bad press.

And the affairs of Icom headquarters have what to do with stateside repair technicians?  

You're a good baiter. But I am not taking the hook. Stick to offering advise and expertise on repair. You are very good at that and I welcome and appreciate that. But leave it at that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:06:40 PM by N4NYY » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: