Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ic-746 pro  (Read 3590 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »

Just get on the air and enjoy the radio. I've had mine for 10 years now, zero problems.
Read the manual and learn and try some of the features of this neat radio!
I take mine to our ARES group's Field Day every year, and people love it, it gets
operated by all ages and experience, on SSB and CW. And you can do 100W on
all bands, even 2m !

Fred, KQ6Q

Fred, good deal and I hope it never breaks. But others have not been that lucky. You can go look at the reviews and the failure rate just based on the reviews, was high. They also redesigned PA late in the production cycle. 
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:54 AM »

A close family member and myself each bought an IC-746 Pro at about the same time from a well-known radio sales and repair outlet in the mid-West that also touted itself as a factory warranty station.  About two years after purchasing the radios, each had the screen backlight failure occur, within six months of each-other.  I knew that the radios were definitely out of warranty, but contacted the place we purchased them to get an estimate for repair.  As I recall, it was at least $120 per unit and maybe double that.  I was rattled as I had just retired and my income had dropped considerably, making repairs not feasible.  My relative, did some research and found that an Icom warranty station in Anderson, SC would handle the repairs free of charge, even though out of warranty.  This was only on the "Pro" version of the 746, which is what we had.  They handled the repairs and had them back to us in what I considered a very expedient time frame.  Both radios have seen daily use for at least two years since then and continue to work fine.  I was highly impressed with the integrity of the Anderson, SC shop... not so much with the well-known shop we purchased the radios from.

While I have long been a believer in the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I can understand someone wanting to get their radio fixed (if it has the dreaded issues) before parts become unavailable for their particular model.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »

I'm not "baiting" you, was trying to get you to THINK. 

And to slow down a mite. 

You started out on here not that long ago with a beginner's knowledge about troubleshooting and repair of electronics consumer appliances from a day gone by. 

Along the way you've had some successes.  That's a good thing. 

But now you have started making statements in posts that you may need more experience with before asserting such things. 

You've been told the reasons why, you ignore those reasons and repost your reasons for doing otherwise. 

Please don't get angry.  Try looking within. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »

I'm not "baiting" you, was trying to get you to THINK. 

And to slow down a mite. 

You started out on here not that long ago with a beginner's knowledge about troubleshooting and repair of electronics consumer appliances from a day gone by. 

Along the way you've had some successes.  That's a good thing. 

But now you have started making statements in posts that you may need more experience with before asserting such things. 

You've been told the reasons why, you ignore those reasons and repost your reasons for doing otherwise. 

Please don't get angry.  Try looking within. 

Not sure what you are talking about on consumer electronics repair. I occasionally restore a radio. I have now done AMBC, SW, CB, and even transistor. Maybe 2-3 per year. I am not a radio repair technician. I can read circuits and schematics. I have never proclaimed myself as an expert. I try to help people in area I have knowledge. I had knowledge of the 746 because I ran into the bad experiences that are famed with this radio. I even wrote a do-it-yourself PPT on mods.DK which can help any novice repair this cheaply on their own.

I have done repair on other non-consumer or industrial instrumentation. You are sure baiting. I have never heard anyone use the cliche, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with respect to a known flaw that came with a corrective service bulletin. Most service bulletins that I have ever come across, I have implemented. Whether in my field, or in the radio field.

I will never have the radio repair knowledge that you have, and I do welcome it when I request it. However, some of your responses are baiting and condescending.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Those are not meant to be baiting, matter of fact those are my own late uncle's words to me when I was first learning the art of electronics from him in his radio/tv shop. 

And, I soon learned to value his bits of wisdom. 

What I cannot fathom is the attitude that takes that to mean anything else but what it means. 

Look, you tried to tell a fellow in another thread to blanket replace all the well made and notoriously long lasting precision resistors in his labgrade voltmeter a few days or so ago. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Those are not meant to be baiting, matter of fact those are my own late uncle's words to me when I was first learning the art of electronics from him in his radio/tv shop. 

And, I soon learned to value his bits of wisdom. 

What I cannot fathom is the attitude that takes that to mean anything else but what it means. 

Look, you tried to tell a fellow in another thread to blanket replace all the well made and notoriously long lasting precision resistors in his labgrade voltmeter a few days or so ago. 

I posted a link from an authorized Icom repair center about a service bulletin of a well known problem. This was info from a man who is "authorized" at repairs, stated the best fix, and posted the service bulletin on his website. You chimed in with a cliche on why not to do it, and offered nothing to back it up. If you have the credentials or experience on fixing Icoms, and specifically the 746 and why you think he should not do it, then by all means, go ahead. I am not taking over your job as the eham service pro. So do not worry about it.

Not sure which thread about the voltmeter thread you are talking about. I did restore a VTVM and put 1% resistors in it and it was able to calibrate it to pretty close to my DMM across the ranges. But that was not recently. I restored that VTVM well over a year ago. Regardless, that is totally irrelevant to this thread and you are changing the subject.

This thread was about if a ham should implement a service bulletin on the Icom 746 radio and a seriously known flaw. I posted a website backing the service bulletin. You chimed in with your cliche, and are know bringing in other non-relevent threads into this discussion about the IC-151 and backlight problems. Again, the info I provided is not my info. It is from an Icom authorized service center.

For whatever reason, you chose to discredit me and my abilities because of some cliche about your late uncle. I expected better from you.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »

You left out that someone else in the same thread about that Icom pointed out that there are also plenty of examples still running without the modification. 

Look, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing if not tempered with a bit of humility. 

Somehow I don't think you will accept that, though.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »

You left out that someone else in the same thread about that Icom pointed out that there are also plenty of examples still running without the modification.  

Look, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing if not tempered with a bit of humility.  

Somehow I don't think you will accept that, though.

Which part of "Icom service bulletin" do you not understand? For someone who is in service, sometimes you make no sense. Of course there are plenty of ones that did not break. Something even with flaws, never has a 100% failure rate. Or even 50% failure rate.

The failure rate was significant enough for Icom to address it with a service bulletin. In addition, they redesigned the PA during a production run. As I said. I offered Icom service bulletins from an authorized Icom service center. There are also plenty of unauthorized Icom pages dedicated to this problem. Google 746 IC-151 or 746 sudden death.  

You went on your own to throw out an opinion without any facts as to why he should not have implemented the service bulletin. Instead of posting some factual basis based on your expertise, you decided to quote your uncle on a cliche, and bring up a restoration of my so called "labgrade" Heathkit IM-13 VTVM that I did over a year ago, because I replaced all the 2% and 5% resistors with 1%, in an effort to discredit me.

I am seriously disappointed in you and would have never expected that out of you. I am about to ignore your for good. Even with your wealth of knowledge, it is not worth it.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »

This post is intended as the attempt to get vinnie to "ignore me for good."

This fellow must find out the hard way by destroying someone else's appliance. 

73 es dididit dahdidah
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: