Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH6-DXX Refurbish - Loading Coils  (Read 1036 times)
W0GXA

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Has anyone rebuilt a TH6 and torn apart the loading coils?  I've found one guy on-line...looking for more.

I have continuity through them, antenna worked when it was taken down a month ago.

I'm in the process of refurbishing the entire antenna, new hardware, removing rust stains and polishing it to look like new.  The loading coils seem difficult to disassemble because the outer tube seems to be staked onto the insulator/spacers.

Welcome any advice

73, Bob Lee
W0GXA
KD0UN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »

I think you will have issues getting it apart.  What I would do is replace the element to coil screws with stainless.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:06:57 AM »

Has anyone rebuilt a TH6 and torn apart the loading coils?  ... 73, Bob Lee W0GXA

Hello Bob,  thanks for the posting; just for clarification here - believe that you mean "traps", not loading coils - there is a difference.  See http://www.wa9wsj.com/dloads/TH6-DXX.pdf page i.

Unless you have actually tested these traps and found one (or more) to be defective, then I wouldn't recommend disassembly of the actual trap.  Of course, you can thoroughly clean their connecting surface and replace any fastening hardware.

Perhaps more of a concern, IMHO, will be the beta match tubes, beta shorting wires, and their associated wiring - these hardware components should be in very good working order.

NHY, 73, Rich, K3VAT
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:17:58 AM by K3VAT » Logged
W0GXA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »

Yes, I meant traps.  thanks for the advice.  I'm in the process of replacing all hardware and cleaning all connections etc...  I'll leave them alone as they don't look easy to disassemble.

73, Bob
WB2RCB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »

While not a TH6, I have rebuilt the traps on my TH3MK2 a few times over the years. They are easy to disassemble and rebuild. I have an article from QST back in 1986 that shows a generic rebuild and what to look for when rebuilding. Check your e-mail!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 05:49:57 AM »

As part of your refurbishment, the plastic parts may need replacement.
http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=PK-TH6-PLS
This kit contains all plastic components to rebuild the TH6DX antenna.
 Components such as trap end caps, element end tips, DE insulators and many more are all included.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:52:13 AM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: