Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-950SDX  (Read 1645 times)
W0ADO

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

Audio is missing on Phone Patch Output Jack on rear panel of unit.
Also missing on Pin #1 of Remote Jack on rear.
Audio to Speaker and front panel headphones is ok.
Can anyone offer a solution to this problem?
Thanks,
Jim
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »

My "solution" would be to first websearch out the Service Manual and Schematic for the beast, download it and start studying the schematic and any possible Circuit Descriptions in order to find out how and where those Audio Outputs are derived. 

Then I'd open the thing up on the bench and start with a visual inspection from output place backwards towards input, looking for any anomalies first, such as broken pcb trace or solder joints underneath audio plugs such as earphone jack that may contain switching, etc. 

If a visual brings up nothing, next I would try mechanical methods such as using an insulated Spudger of some sort to introduce mechanical flexing of pcb in the area where the audio goes thru, while monitoring for audio to come in or not.  Any relays involved, give 'em a tap with the plastic handle of a small screwdriver while observing audio to see if it changes. 

Finally, Audio Signal Tracing may be needed.  This can be as simple as an AF amplifier and speaker with a bit of audio coax and a probe with blocking capacitor at input.  Tie ground to rig chassis, use the probe to work backwards from the missing audio output, following the schematic, looking for where the audio is heard in the tracer.  The stage immediately following that point is now the suspect.  Voltage readings, ohmmeter readings, etc. are in order.  Of course, if you find Audio at the input to an audio IC, but nothing on the output pin of same IC, suspect the IC itself.  An Oscilloscope can also be used for Audio Signal Tracing if you have one available.

Good Luck,

W0ADO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

Thank you for the input.

That's about what I had in mind. I guess there's really no short-cut to solve a problem like this.

Jim
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Well, you should "stay tuned" to your thread, in this age of internet forums, someone might have a great tip come along that can bypass the above, never know...

WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

Kenwood TS-950SDX a boat anchor? Man, do I feel old  Smiley
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

Phone patch? what's a phone path?  Grin
Anything with a phone patch MUST be a boat anchor!

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »

Seriously, I've been waiting for the thread about Phone Patch with iPhone. 

Coming to a forum near you...

W0ADO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »

Well, the item is certainly heavy enough to be a boat anchor!
Anyway, I love this rig. One small problem isn't too bad and I think I can get to the bottom of the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: