Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE: EHAM WEBSITE COMPROMISED?..  (Read 21611 times)
KT4WO

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »

Eham has been hit again I think...

A FBI warning wanting 400 bucks locked up my desktop...
I reformated and reinstalled....2 days later ,,,while on eham
It did it again!!  FM

Yes...firewalled,updated,antivirus...yes,yes....

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

It did it again!!

That sounds SERIOUS.  And you can't even pay the FBI via paypal if you're having computer trouble.   Tell you what, send ME the $400 and I'll send it to the FBI for you.  No, don't thank me--I'm always glad to help!   Wink
N3AB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

It did it again!!  FM

Same as above, I got hit yesterday.  Wiped out my desktop.  Same FBI warning too.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »

I have visited eHam numerous times over the past few days and have no trouble. I am using Mozilla  17.0.1
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »

Congratulations to VE3FMC for actually mentioning a software version... Allow me to be the first to say I've had NO problems with eHam through Firefox 17.0.1 on top of Windows XP. Ditto for Firefox on top of Linux Mint 14 / Mate.

Sometimes it's good to mention both the app and OS versions as that can help define the issue.

BTW:  If you don't know about this, it's time you did...  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

Never change a password on a Friday                
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »

I have been getting a message from my Kaspersky antivirus that reads:
HEUR:Trojan.script.Generic
It wants to down load but the antivirus stops it.

I get it when the page opens and when I go to the classifieds but not on the forums.  On the adds, it comes up on every add I click on to see the particulars of the add.  I don't get it when I click on a banner add.  Hope this helps.  I am running Vista 64 bit, Explorer 9 and Kaspersky 2013 Internet security antivirus.

Rick wn2c
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 04:47:18 AM »

Likewise, I'm using the latest Firefox version and have had no problems.  IE is getting hacked more and more.  Also, a good firewall BEFORE the firewall on the computer--a router firewall--helps a great deal also.  My router firewall stops a lot of port attacks even before they get to the computer.  I sign into the log of the router to check sometimes, and the list that comes up has multiple attacks listed that the router has stopped cold in their tracks.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:50:30 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

It did it again!!  FM

Can you tell me you OS and web browser?

We have gotten several similar reports but so far I can not get any of the tools to detect this malware.
Using local tools as well as several online scanners. 

I do wish you had posted a new topic (I would have been notified) and not posted to one that was over a year old.

I have split your post out into a new thread.

Thanks

George
K5TR
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »

There is a common misconception that a firewall will protect your computer. A firewall iis designerd to block incoming packets WHICH WERE NOT REQUESTED by the computer. So if some web site or person is attempting to send packets (or ping requets, etc) to your computer, they will be blocked. Once you click on a link to an infected site (or visit an infected site) the firewall will allow incoming packets, including viruses, as you requested a connectin to that site. Likewise, there is a difference between a virus and malware. Many antivirus products will not block malware, as technically, the software does not see malware as a virus.

One of the biggest Windows security flaws most users run into is browsing the web using the administrator account (the default account set up during installation of the OS). For example, in Windows XP Professional, the default account has admin privleges, allowing the user (and malware) to delete, modify, and replace files. However, if you set up a second user account (without admin privleges), files which were created by the admin account (including the OS, installed software, and downloads) are locked and cannot be deleted or modified. Although it can be a pain to have to switch between user accounts to delete or edit downloaded files, run updates and various utilities, it goes a long way toward protecting the user from such malware while surfing the web.
CTOENSING

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »

I just got nailed with the same malware a second time (took two times before I figured out where it came from).  Tried several fixes over several hours before I found one that worked.  I'm running Windows Vista on the infected box.  Restarted it in Safe Mode With Networking and downloaded the latest version of Norton Internet Security (not Norton Antivirus - different packages).  NIS retails for around $75 but, if you look around, (check the links listed in the review of the software on PC Magazine's site) you can find it for closer to $30.  Install the software and it should do a scan in conjunction with the install.  Whether it does or not, initiate a full scan yourself once the install is complete.  You should be clean after that.  FYI, McAfee, Spybot and Malwarebytes all failed to find the virus on my computer.  I didn't get around to trying Bitdefender.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

George,

Sorry about that...  XP Pro SP3  Firefox 17(something) (at work, can't look)
Running Avast(up to date) and all Microsoft updates ....  Hit my desktop and laptop(same system)

Trip - KT4WO

K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »

Bought a month ago I got a full screen notice that the FBI "Knows I have illegally downloaded music" on my pc. Immediately bought the paid AVG version, ran it, and it took out the trojan, or whatever these jackoffs call em now...
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »

active user during that period and never saw anything out of the ordinary.

However, I run Linux, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, a from a user account and the browser is Chromium
(open source Chrome) V18.0.1025.168.  I find it a bullet proof combo.

Allison
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »

It also helps to make sure your operating system is up to date--with any patches that are posted on the windows--or other OS site--homepage.  All too often the people who are compromised didn't do that one simple thing.  It isn't only the browser used that can be fooled, the OS also can be fooled.  Microsoft knows that and fixes for its bad code are posted every month--or immediately, if the threat is great enough.

I've got Win7 set to inform me of any patches/downloads that are put on the MS website so I'll KNOW that there are some patches available--because some of them are user selectable and won't be installed unless the user tells the computer to install them.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »

RE:"All too often the people who are compromised didn't do that one simple thing. "

Yep..and real easy to do when you have broadband...
--BUT---
There are still ALOT of us who don't!
I have to carry my desktop to work to do that...PAIN in the arse..
and yes...mine was up-to-date in all respects.

The only thing that saved me was, I dual-boot into Linux.

KT4WO
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: