Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The WALL  (Read 19317 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »

Fred:  One of the advantages of copying 5 letter coded groups is that you copy code..... not anticipate words, which in many cases are incorrect. 

I've found that the brain learning the code and simultaneously trying to anticipate the word which seems to be forming, quite often overloads the brain and you wind up losing both efforts.

It must be understood though, that we all have our problems and ways to do things. 
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

Fred,

What you said makes a lot of sense.
Back in the day, most people did not fuss as much or agonize over which system gave the best results.
They found a system which worked for most people, then you either achieved proficiency, or you were back to other work.

Part of the problem today, I feel, is that there are just too many experts - all kicking their particular can down the road.

When you remove all the layers and colorful sweet coatings - there is only one way to learn morse - or anything else.
Your brain has to form pathways and allocate a section which is there to decode morse.
Whether you get there by one path or another is mostly a matter of style - the destination is the same.

If you are immersed in some activity, you will pick up expertise in that area - you simply cannot fail to do it if you are alive.
It may be anecdotal or an urban myth, but I recall reading somewhere that the transition from morse being printed on paper tape to ear was accidental.
The guys in the telegraph offices who tended the morse printers eventually learned to recognise the clicks and decode them by ear.
So the paper tape markers were retired and morse operators were born.
This may be untrue, but it makes a nice story - and I am sure there is some semblance of truth in it.

Before the 4 minute mile was broken, it was considered impossible.
Once it was broken, lots of people broke it - and now it is routinely run.
The same was true of a guitarist who learned by himself off the radio.
He played guitar in a way that amazed the professionals - his secret - he did not realize the radio versions were mixed with multiple tracks.
So, not knowing it was impossible - he did it anyway.

We have all heard of autistic savants (rain man type) who can do amazing things in their head.
One thing a lot of these people have in common is an over-riding obsession with a particular interest.
If you thought about one thing just about every waking moment, you would be an expert in that as well.
Supposedly it takes about 5000 hours to become a "genius" at some activity.
Beethoven had an obsessive, somewhat sadistic, father who would force him to play piano all night long.
It is hardly surprising that someone like Beethoven became a genius in music.

So don't worry if you don't have native talent in something - pure persistence can bring you there as well.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:20:19 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »

Rob:  Well said!!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »

I too was afflicted by the 15/16 WPM "Wall",
but I think it was a matter of nerves, not skill.

Comedian Bill Cosby played football and had
a Track & Field Scholarship at Temple University. One of his Field
events was the High Jump. His "wall" was when the
bar was set at his own physical height. He that said a
little voice came into his head telling him "You KNOW
you can't jump higher than you are tall".

I think maybe I too had such a little voice in my head
about 20 wpm CW, though I wasn't conscious of it.

I took and passed the 13 wpm CW Element and
the General and Advanced written elements on the
same day. (At that karate dojo that used to be above
Jun's Electronics in Culver City, remember that place?)
It was late in the afternoon and not many folks were
left. The VE who gave and scored the 13 wpm test must
have been watching me. He said "You had no problem
with this at all, why don't you take the 20 wpm?".
I was mortified and said "Sorry, I'm just not ready".

His reply was "What have you got to lose?
There's no pressure, you already got what
you came here for."
A very kindly older man, before I could profer
another argument, he put his arm around my shoulder,
guided me to the chair, winked, and said "Relax kid, you've
got this in the bag". I passed that 20 wpm element.
Granted, it was the easy "Fill in the blanks" type
test given at that time, not the much more
difficult FCC Field Office Exams of an earlier era.

But thank goodness for that kind VE who had
confidence in me when I had none.
I wish I had
taken his name.

73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:32:06 PM by AD6KA » Logged
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »

Hi Imi,

Thanks a lot for your msg.

As a matter of fact I valued people from HA high, because in 1956 there were a large number of political HA-refugees accepted in this pretty overpopulated Eu-country with prefix PAAA thru PIZZ.

Without known exception by me, they accepted simple work for living to start with, and grew out fast to leading workers in industry and non profit organisations. They got the opportunity and they took it.

So that may clarify my admiration for HA people. And added to your demonstrated high level of proficiency in Morse code you showed, my idea was  confirmed.

However your last quoted message is experienced here as sarcastic, and I am right now afraid all the valued HA people that my country  and the other countries in Western EU accepted and praised ourself lucky with those qualified hard working people, learning fast our, as such international qualified,  difficult language  were in fact a huge brain drain of HA.

1. I did write nowhere I enjoyed copying Morse code. Perhaps a sample of the remaining people in HA is able to comprehend that stopping something you started with a well defined goal in your mind, is a waste of time you invested already.

2. When you make a statement over EU hams able to copy any handsent code (at any speed) and any distortion, you disqualify yourself.

3. You claim to know what I exactly know.

I know nothing about you, I feel perfectly happy with that, and I hope sincerely for you that your Morse code proficiency is not your only outstanding qualification in life.
Bob

[/quote]

Hi Bob!
I still don't get it!
What exactly CW has anything to do with political refugees or 1956 revolution in Hungary?
I have nothing to do with them nor my parents or grand parents or any of my relatives. Some of You called (HA people) Chickened out and left this beautiful country, that is their problem and not mine.
I wouldn't be so proud of all of them. I feel sorry for some of them, but there is also a lot of war criminals among them. Not to mention those who were beat  innocent people to death while they were police men or army officials in that system. These people are the one's you were so proud of? Real Hungarians were stayed here and rebuilt this country together and tried to survive that dirty communist regime.  Please, don't try to lecture me about our history and my people.

If you felt offended, for that I apologise.

I just realized that I was really sarcastic and some times people just need to remind me of that. I try not to be, but some times it just comes out that way. I really try not to be one.
As I'm getting older I realize that, ego is suspicious at best and vicious at worst!!!!!!
I am no special or better then any other person. I am just an average guy.
BTW I never said that EU guys can copy at any speed. I said EU guys has no problem copy code which is sent by hand.
Americans are focusing on copy clean code sent by keyboard, but EU guys....in the other hand, at least the vast majority of us is just lousy kb typists. That is the reason we don't have problem copy any kind of code, because we send code by hand only.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »

HA7AP: 

Imi:  I found your comments about the HA refugees "chicken out" interesting.  I was in Germany during 1956.  I cannot elaborate but believe me when I tell you that your countrymen that crossed to border to escape the Russians.... weren't "chickens!" 

I was also there when some of your countrymen settled in Germany and became productive citizens.  Matter of fact, I still have Forent bills from one of them.  I found them to be very nice people.  They were easy to like.

I was also in the Atlantic when 3 stinking ships full of your countrymen had to turn back to Germany because of the bad weather.... all trying to escape the hell inflicted on them by the Russians.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread but your comments brought back a lot of memories, memories that I still can't talk about. 

HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »

HA7AP: 

Imi:  I found your comments about the HA refugees "chicken out" interesting.  I was in Germany during 1956.  I cannot elaborate but believe me when I tell you that your countrymen that crossed to border to escape the Russians.... weren't "chickens!" 

I was also there when some of your countrymen settled in Germany and became productive citizens.  Matter of fact, I still have Forent bills from one of them.  I found them to be very nice people.  They were easy to like.

I was also in the Atlantic when 3 stinking ships full of your countrymen had to turn back to Germany because of the bad weather.... all trying to escape the hell inflicted on them by the Russians.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread but your comments brought back a lot of memories, memories that I still can't talk about. 

Hi Allen, K8AXW!

I know that, there were many excellent people among those refugees. What I said is Not everybody were so precious in that group of refugees.
My grandpa were a soldier and captured by gestapo in the world war II. They wanted to execute him in Austria, but he managed to escaped from them.

The agitators:( Agitators in the 50' were to convince people in a brutal manner to give their land values and all their animals to the state. A one big corporation)  My grandpa lived in a countryside in the year of 1958 and heard that, there was a couple of agitators beating up his farmer neighbour nearly to death.
My grandpa went over and started to question these two army officials, that this is how the state needs to convince people to get in to cooperatives?
This whole thing was about to get people violently in to one huge countrywide corporation.
My grandpa were a big guy, so these two left pretty quick without saying a thing.
A few hours later more army officials came over and said to my grandpa, that he is under arrest for interfering agitators action or so.
He was then taken to Budapest to Ministry of defence, then soon straight to jail.
He were then beaten up very badly and he lost 50kg and served one year for questioning army officials.
That old man never thought about going to an other country, because what happened to him.

What I think, a Country has nothing to do with actual political system.

I've been In Canada and USA and lots of other countries, but my own experience with most of 1956 Hungarian political refugees are very negative.
They are hate Hungary and hate Hungarian people. They are already forgot to speak Hungarian, but still doesn't speak proper English. They are jealous and unhelpful.

Don't get me wrong, I just tell you my own experience about these brilliant refugees of 1956

73 imi HA7AP
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »

Imi:  I thank you very much for the interesting information.  Most of this I didn't know.  The Hungarians I met were very nice people and were devastated because they had to leave their home country. 

Although what you say is correct it also must be understood that the results and or condition of Hungary in the 50's was due to Russian control.  There are always those in every country that will act as those in Hungary.  Even in the US!  We are seeing that now, as we speak. 

If you look at any oppressed country you will find those who would rather leave their beloved country than suffer endlessly under tyranny or invasion.

Please understand, I do defer to what is no doubt your insightful viewpoint.

N4GKC

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 05:05:25 AM »

Just try to remember..... "this is a hobby, not a job" 73 Garrett (n4gkc)
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »

Put away the training aids and get on with talking to people. You speed will go up as you meet and talk to people.
Don't worry about it. Maybe after a year of ops, give yourself a test and I believe you'll be amazed at your progress.
Dick KH2G
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: