Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KX3 CW Tone  (Read 3268 times)
AE5QB

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »

I don't own a KX3 but I've noticed a distinct character to the CW tone.  I have also had online CW QSO's with KX3 owners and I hear the same characteristics in the received CW tone.  I am not sure how to describe it, but to me it sounds very tinny and sharp.  It just doesn't sound like a nice smooth rounded CW tone like other units.  I've even considered giving less than a 9 for tone quality in my report. Has anyone else noticed this and what is your opinion of the KX3 CW tone?

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »

Usually poor cw "tone" that is directly related to transmission quality is described in terms of "key clicks" or "chirp." I had a recent QSO with an old guy running a WWII military ARC rig that had a slight chirp which I pointed out to him. His description of his rig made the source of the chirp clear. 50 years ago when I started in ham radio, I had many contacts with Soviet stations that had a very rough tone, as if modulated by poor power supply filtering. Mosts Soviet hams of that era did not have access to high quality components or sophisticated designs for their homemade rigs.

I don't think that with most modern rigs, especially those well-designed for CW use, like Elecraft gear, that there is any problem with poor "tone" from the transmission side.

I suggest that your perceptions of poor tone may come from your receiver setup, the sidetone offset in a receiver or transceiver, or the audio processing in an SDR setup.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »

As you know non sine wave sounds sound different from the usual sine tone. You report a non sine wave sound.

It is not realistic to suppose it is as such in the air, because it is just an on-off switched carrier. Only when you use tone modulation in an SSB transmitter, you get your audio harmonics in the aether, and that is an unrealistic proposition, because in the ether your signal should then be represented as 2 or 3 CW signals . Those should show up at a waterfall display of fellow hams receiving your sigs.

So most probable is that your receiver audio channel is distorting the audio of received carrier interfering with your BFO, or product detector oscillator.

It is easy to measure, when you have a scope you can watch the signal.

Another way a non sinus detected tone is produced is when the received CW is slightly  frequency modulated.
This also is a CW clear signal and CW sidebands. Showing up as separate signals each CW in the same pace. When the sidebands are not very close to the carrier (as hum produces) they can also be detected on a waterfall display  of a receiver with a PC connected for PSK31 or Hell or what have you, , with a waterfall display of the audio band, as separate transmitted CW signals
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:23:34 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:19:14 AM »

If more than one station with KX3 has the distinctive tone, did you mention it to the operators? since it's a new radio, there might be an adjustment in the alignment process that is causing the effect you're hearing.
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »

If all the KX3 sound the same, it is there keying characteristic just as the old Viking Ranger was one of the nicest to listen to. It is a result of the rise time/fall time of the keying ckt.  On the home brew stuff we used to spend a bit of time to make sure we really sounded clean. Square waves need to be a bit rounded to not sound ratty.
Enjoy and learn to id various rigs by there sound just as you will learn to recognize the fist of various ops just as well as a mans voice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: