Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet, Interface, Software, Hardware Questions.  (Read 2301 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »

Since this isn't entirely related to APRS, I guess I should ask these questions here. If there is a 'go to' site that has FAQ's like these. Please provide a link. Thanks

1. For the MFJ 1278. Can I use hyper terminal or must I use the MFJ program? Can you use it with Linux Mint? Is there a place to download the 1278 software and will it work with Windows XP or just Windows 98? What about laptops without serial port? Could a USB to Serial adapter be used?

2. Can the Signalink be used as Packet? Any examples? Packet software Linux or Windows?

3. The APRS frequency is 144.390. Can you do packet messaging on it (text messaging)? Or should one just pick a dedicated frequency? Is packet still going yet or is it mainly APRS?

4. BBS and mailboxes. Are there still BBS and mailboxes around these days. Are packet digipeaters still around?  Can you use MFJ 1278 or Signalink for setting up packet BBS or mailboxes? I guess Winlink is an entirely separate mail system altogether.

5. For APRS I assume I need a GPS receiver (I have a etrex legend circa 2002), a tiny track (Ebay has 'knockoffs' for $22 either a #3 or #4...is #4 better than #3) and a radio.

6.How can one do packet messaging on the same frequency as APRS without interfering? Am I limited to 144.390 for APRS? If I wanted to set up a packet station on the air all the time on two meters or 10 meters, 6 meters etc.... Would I need a APRS beacon or will just the packet software keep a beacon on. If someone wanted to send me a message for my packet mailbox. I assume I would have to have the station on...unless there is a packet BBS nearby to log into?

7. How would one go about starting a Packet BBS in this day and age? I guess naming the packet station and or BBS would be my call followed by -1. And I guess I can have packet on other bands too but each additional call would be my call followed by -2 ?

8. The newer radios like the Kenwood THD-72A, can one read packet messages and forward packet messages to a packet mailbox with just the HT? Can you do the same with the Yaesu VX8GR ? Can you connect up a computer to these radios and use them as a complete packet station? I guess the rate is 1200 baud for 2 meters and 9600 for 440 Mhz and up?

The reason for all these questions is, experimentation and emergency communications applications. I know the internet is faster and packet is old school.

But with packet one can send text messages and have mailbox functions and it would still work if the cell towers and the internet went down. Using older equipment and computers for possible emergency or general communications is better than having it sit in the closet or basement. 

I was looking into getting D-Star at some point or the THD72A/VX8GR..but I'm low on cash and I have this equipment sitting around that could be put to good use.

Thanks

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »

Mods, please delete post...I'll post this elsewhere...Thanks

Still using Windows XP Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: