Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eHam advertising  (Read 4832 times)
K3RQH

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

Why is there an ad from leggings.com on this site?  It's obnoxious-looking and doesn't seem to be a good fit. I'd be glad to pay eHam what leggings.com is paying you, but...you guessed it...I'm broke!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:25:56 PM by K3RQH » Logged
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

Back when I watched TV, I'd tune in various versions of Star Trek and invariably there would be a Valtrex herpes commercial during almost every advertising break.  I was puzzled at that too.  I figured most Star Trek fans didn't get out enough to even have a chance to catch that affliction.  Once-daily VALTREX may be right for you.

Maybe I need leggings and a few matching tube tops to go with them.   Grin
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

Why is there an ad from leggings.com on this site?  It's obnoxious-looking and doesn't seem to be a good fit. I'd be glad to pay eHam what leggings.com is paying you, but...you guessed it...I'm broke!

On many sites, one does not see the same adverts as others. 

The ubiquitous "cookie" that gets dropped into your browser when visiting sites is often used to "tailor" the choice of advertising seen. 

Because of that, it is not possible to put the blame on site operators for many of the advertising you see. 

Just one of those things about the Information Age. 

If you want to get rid of cookies periodically, a good idea that often speeds up browsing, there's a free program for Windows systems called, "ccleaner" available on the Piriform website.  Do a websearch for "Piriform ccleaner" using www.bing.com or www.google.com or whatever you use for a search engine, dowload, install and run it.  I don't recommend downloading it from just any website returned, get it from Piriform's site, they are the developers and sometimes there can be a little hanky panky going on when downloading and installing good programs from other sites or mirrors.  Get it from the source, I say.

K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »

Have you seen the adv for "Bad Idea Shirts" here on eHam?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

Blame Googleads.  THEY control their offerings to their advertizing slots on other sites--that's what they pay e-ham for, ad space.  E-ham doesn't have much of a say in what is posted.
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »

There are some great browser plug-ins that help a lot...  Running NoScript will block unapproved Java scripts from running; one of those I block is from googleadservices.com - if the script doesn't run, it can't deliver targeted ads.

Between NoScript, AdBlockPlus, and DoNotTrackMe, I don't see ads and generally protect my privacy.  I'm running OpenSuSE 11.3 and Firefox 3.6.24; overall, I have much less to worry about regarding viruses, malware, and general privacy.
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »

Blame Googleads.  THEY control their offerings to their advertizing slots on other sites--that's what they pay e-ham for, ad space.  E-ham doesn't have much of a say in what is posted.

That sounds right.  I was looking online for a Toyota Tacoma, and started noticing that a lot of web sites I went to had an ad for the Taco.  Thanks.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Pay for a subscription to eHAM and you WON'T see the Leggings ad! It won't cost you an arm or a LEG for the subscription. I have one and I don't see any ads at all !!!

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

One company I worked for would get ads with links to
their competitors, courtesy of Google, on their site.

It did not take long before we convinced them that
IBM did not have links to Oracle, SAP or Dell on their sites!

73 james
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »

Pay for a subscription to eHAM and you WON'T see the Leggings ad! It won't cost you an arm or a LEG for the subscription. I have one and I don't see any ads at all !!!

I'm a paid subscriber, and I see them. Are you sure you don't have some other form of ad-blocking going on?

Yes, I'm logged in.

-- Tom
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »

I'm a paid subscriber, and I see them. Are you sure you don't have some other form of ad-blocking going on?

Yes, I'm logged in.

-- Tom

Not sure why I don't see them but I get the same results on all the computers (3 of them; 2 XP PCs, 1 Win7 PC and 1 Android Smartphone) I use to log into eHAM with and they all (PCs) run Symantec Endpoint Protection software. One thing I noticed is the PCs do NOT show any ads but the smartphone does even when logged in. I am using Google Chrome on phone (Android Jellybean 4.1.1 OS) with AVG Antivirus/AntiMalware s/w and latest Firefox browser on PCs. On the PC's, I don't see any ads or other nefarious displayed items, only eHAM ham radio info and also do NOT have any undisplayed 'red X' placeholders either?

Maybe your browesr or anti-malware/virus software is not blocking the ads?

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »

As many have pointed out in this thread the google ads use various methods to deliver ads targeted at the user.  For the last few weeks I have been getting almost nothing but Intuit ads because I went to the Intuit Quickbooks site one day. 

We do have some control over the google ads - and we have some ads blocked from our site and also some entire categories of ads blocked that we feel would not be good or useful to run on the site. If you see an ad that you feel is totally out of place you can send me the name of the company or better yet the URL that the ad leads to - you can usually right click on the ad image to copy the URL if you do not want to click on the ad - and we can look at the ad to see if it needs to be excluded from the site.

You can also click the 'X' on some google ads - it will mute the ad - this gives google info that you do not want to see that ad. 

The ads help pay to keep the site running.  I have made an effort to keep the number of ad slots to a minimum as well as not have many ads that have excessive flashing or other obnoxious ad behavior that I see on some other sites.

George
K5TR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: