Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone from Mystic-Groton/Mystic-Stonington?  (Read 4520 times)
AB4ZT

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

Hello all:

My wife and I love the Mystic area, and may retire there.  However, I need to make sure no tower issues get in the way.

In Mystic-Groton, it appears that towers are totally out of the question in the historic district (even though there are a lot of non-historic homes in that district), but even outside the district there is a 35' height limit that can be exceeded only with a special exception, and that special exception is subject to renewal.  That is, even if you get the exception, there is no guarantee that in 5 years you can keep your tower.

In Mystic-Stonington, outside the seaport historic district, there appears to be no such height restrictions.

I have corresponded with the government entities there, but I was wondering if anybody has any personal experiences they would be willing to share.

Richard, AB4ZT
W1AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »

I live in Ledyard, CT about 3.5 miles from downtown Mystic. Towers are permitted here with height limited only by distance to the property line. The Town of Salem is similar. Permits are required from building and zoning for less than 60 feet. But reasonable to get. Higher requires engineering also. Groton has restriction of 35 feet and special exception hearings are needed if you want to go higher. Stonington may be more reasonable than Groton, but you need to watch the historic districts.
Email your phone number and I will call to discuss. w1an(at)dxusa.net

John W1AN
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »

Check: www.City-Data.com  for a list of Amateur radio operators in the town, then contact them by mail or phone!  I'm sure you will find many who would be more than happy to give you the information that you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: