Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ball mounts  (Read 4866 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »

I purchased a mobile antenna ball mount from Breedlove machine shop. It has an adjustment to angle the antenna forward and backward but adjusting the antenna forward/backward also moves it a bit sideways also. The mount has no adjustment for sideways.

Is this how other ball mounts adjust?
WE7H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

Howdy WX7G,

I believe the Breedlove's are fairly typical for adjustment.  You have two axises of adjustment.  One is the split ball.  The other is the stud that goes through the vehicle body.  You just need to play with the two to get a nice vertical antenna deployment.  It will depend on the angle of the vehicle body.  Spin the mounting stud part so that adjusting the split ball will bring your antenna 90 degrees to the ground.

Hope this is helpful.

73, WE7H
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »

The two adjustments are the split-ball which moves it both forward and back as well as side to side. The other is the bolt that goes through the insulator which rotates it only forward and back. Use the split-ball to get it vertical side to side. Then rotate the whole mount to bring it back to vertical forward and back.

With a Hamstick, I had a problem with the wind resistance rotating the ball in the insulator, letting the antenna lay backwards. I never could get it tight enough to stay put more than a few weeks. I tightened it enough to cause the teeth in the ball to make the spots in the insulator. Then I used a drill press to make small shallow holes at each mark. When I put it all back together the teeth sat into the holes and prevented the ball from rotating in the mount.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

In the mount I have the stud (the part the antenna mounts directly to) is secured to the round aluminum plate with two plastic rods that prevent rotation of the stud. The plate is held to the automobile metal by three screws that prevent rotation.

It seems strange, and I might be doing something wrong, but I did get it mounted straight with the world.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:32:21 AM »

Are you sure that there aren't any adjustments on the ball to mounting plate joint?  If not, with that type mount, it's necessary to get a generalized straightening of the antenna assembly BEFORE you make the holes in the vehicle body to mount the assembly.  If you don't do that, if you make the holes and install the ball mount first before you put the antenna on it and get it close to straight, you will not be able to straighten the entire assembly without removing and redrilling the locator holes in the vehicle body.

It may seem strange, but that is the way it is--to provide for strength of the mount and its ability to stay straight when its mounted and tightened.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:35:30 AM by K1CJS » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »

Looking at the Breedlove web page it appears that their larger ball mount does indeed use delrin pins so that unlinke the traditional ball mount, the ball cannot turn in the insulator. That means that you must get everything lined up properly BEFORE you drill the holes in the chassis because there is no fore and aft adjustment. Any time you rotate the split in the ball you will change both the fore and aft position plus the side to side, as you discovered.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »

LOL, yes I drilled the first three holes incorrectly and had to drill three more.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »

hi,

I have the same model mount with the pins,
you may have drilled the holes properly but
got the plate rotated 180 out of line.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/page17.html

"If you are installing a pinned set, the mount fits the plates only one way
even though the difference is small.  So insure that the plate is turned
the right way for the Ball mount and that it will come out in the vertical position."

73 james
WA2LLN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

I have the same Breedlove mount.  I drilled the center hole, assembled the mount and attached the antenna to establish vertical and then marked the bolt hole locations.

I think the Breedlove mount is unique in this respect. It does allow mounting some pretty large/heavy antennas. Of course, the sheet metal on the vehicle has to be up to the task as well.

--
Art

KB2FZG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »

I have the same mount as well and like others I drilled the middle hole then got everything set the way I wanted then drilled the mounting holes.  My antenna is tilted forward slightly but I can't correct it as moving the ball makes the antenna off center.  Still it's a great mount and has done an excellent job of holding my Hi-Q antenna.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »

Just depending on how 'slightly' the thing leans forward it shouldn't make much/any difference.  It might even stand up straight when you're moving?
 - 'Doc
KB2FZG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »

Just depending on how 'slightly' the thing leans forward it shouldn't make much/any difference.  It might even stand up straight when you're moving?
 - 'Doc

Here's a picture of it and yes I think it's straight when i'm in motion so it actually works to my benefit.

http://sdrv.ms/WwpxND
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: