Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridiculous Radio Prices...  (Read 7822 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »

'AXW,

Someone said that betting was the surest way to spend money, women were the fastest and drink the most pleasurable - although I am not certain about the latter.

Other ways to spend are to make a small fortune in the airline business, where you have to start with a large one, and to REALLY spend money, own, run and maintain to mainline standards, a steam railroad locomotive.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »

Kenwood TM-V71A - True dual band operation - 50W output UHF & VHF - Crossband operation with a built-in CW IDer - Remote control of most function using only a DTMF capable radio - 118-524MHz, 800-1300MHz receive - The front panel can be installed two ways so the speaker can remain unobstructed - Weather Alert function that activates on reception of the NOAA 1050 Hz tone

Currently priced at Ham Radio Outlet for $369.95

Not a ridiculous price in my book
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

RZP:  Looks like my assumption is correct!  Wine, women and song are not good ways to spend a $100 million dollars! 

Buying an airline or a rail system is synonymous with setting the money on fire or stuffing it down a rat hole!   Giving REQ a "few pallets worth" isn't good either!  Grin
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 03:41:37 AM »

A quick analysis of the big rigs, feel free to disagree or chime in:

Icom 7800
Been going for years, a few initial teething problems that now seem to have been sorted. Nice receiver front end.

Yaesu 9000
More controls than the flight deck of Concorde and I hate the ergonomics with a passion. Other people however swear by 'em. What I do like are the display graphics that show the receiver front end status at a glance and those big meters.

Kenwood TS 990
The unknown quantity, although that LCD above the main tuning control is a good idea.

Hilberling PT 8000
Looks good, nice ergonomics, but they have been trying to get this project to sell for years. Might not be here in 12 months time.

My choice would be the Icom 7800 but the problem is that I don't have the antennas to justify such a rig. It would therefore be a waste of my cash.

Tanakasan
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:53:52 AM by TANAKASAN » Logged
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 05:53:43 AM »

Want the best receive performance? Buy an American made Elecraft K3 for $1550 on up.

I'm splitting hairs here... but the Elecraft doesn't equal the specs of the Hilberling...according to Rob Sherwoods tests...the Hilberling has 105 db dynamic range at 2 khz spacing and also at 1 khz spacing it doesn't change...it's still 105. The Elecraft is 101db at 2khz spacing.

Is it $16,500 worth of difference...not no...but hell no in my book.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »

How, in practice, can you USE 105dB of dynamic range?

I've done measurements (published in QEX and NCJ) and in a ITU rural environment, with a big antenna on 7MHz (the worst band), the ratios of noise floor to signal levels meant that 100dB was all that was needed. Remember 7MHz in Europe is an awful lot more crowded than in the US, and there are a lot more very strong BC signals.

Close in, again, how do you use that much dynamic range? The unwanted signals are going to be that clean, right? Key clicks, transmitter phase noise and intermodulation products mean that if another station is that strong and that close, the limit is the Out of Band emissions from that interfering transmitter.
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 08:06:43 AM »

I see this obsession with owning the most expensive/latest toy in so many areas it is just not funny.

People flock to the camera stores to drop multi thousands of dollars on the latest and "greatest" digital SLR body and lens without realizing that some of the finest glass in the world was made many years ago. And the finest photographs ever taken (and still so) are made with nearly 100 year old cameras. But, who cares about all that, drop that money.

Look at cars. My daughter got talked into buying an uber-expensive German brand car and then called me to complain that an oil change cost over $900. I advised her to sell it.

I think everyone needs to ask themselves what ham radio is really all about: sitting in front of grossly overpriced equipment and gazing rapturously at the little lights; or actually using that equipment to make contacts and friends the world over. I learned a long time back that to make contacts, spend your money on antennas. No amount of money spent on a rig can make as extreme a difference.

Back during one of our famous oil boom to bust cycles, when everyone was losing all their  expensive toys, there was a very popular bumpersticker that read: "Dear God. If You make it better, I promise not to waste my money like last time." Still rings true. Spend wisely.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »

I think everyone needs to ask themselves what ham radio is really all about: sitting in front of grossly overpriced equipment and gazing rapturously at the little lights; or actually using that equipment to make contacts and friends the world over. I learned a long time back that to make contacts, spend your money on antennas. No amount of money spent on a rig can make as extreme a difference.

OK, how about..... gazing rapturously at the little lights, making contacts and friends all over the world with a 150' tower and the badestass beam going? 

OR:

gazing at your 30 year old transceiver (like me), making contacts and friends here and there using a dipole antenna...... and letting that filthy money pile up in a bank account?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »

Trouble is that money in the bank account isn't really piling up, just at best keeping up with inflation. Plus you can't take it with you. Like the story of four buddies who promised that when the first one died, they'd all put  $50 in the grave. At the funeral, one who was lawyer said he hadn't got any cash, picked up the $100 from the other two guys and wrote a check for $150 which he threw in the hole....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »

Peter, this is all fun and games..... I doubt if either of us has to worry about disposing of a pallet of money!   Roll Eyes
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

It's not the cost of anything that matters...it's whether you actually have to pay it!

My Mayan calendar said the world was going to end, so I could charge whatever I wanted to and just buy all sorts of stuff, knowing with the world ending I'd never have to actually pay for any of it.

Darn, that didn't work out. Cry
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »

WIK:  You might not believe this but I know a guy who got a credit card and used it more or less indiscriminately.  When his wife confronted him one day and told him, "Jim, you have to pay this credit card company for what you are charging," he was absolutely stunned!  He never thought of that!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

WIK:  You might not believe this but I know a guy who got a credit card and used it more or less indiscriminately.  When his wife confronted him one day and told him, "Jim, you have to pay this credit card company for what you are charging," he was absolutely stunned!  He never thought of that!

Don't ask that guy for any advice.

On anything.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

A Hallicrafters S40A receiver in 1950 was $99.  This was the most popular receiver of its time.  Towards the lower end of the Hallicrafters line.  In current dollars this is equivalent to $946.44.  For a lower end receiver, this was 3.5 months of 1950 average pay ($3210).  Pretty expensive.

I am glad that some hams have the money to buy the super expensive rigs.  That gets technology going, which eventually works its way down to most of the rest of us.  When the first wall mounted TV screens came out, they went for more then $20K with so so quality. 
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

I think G3RZP's post on rx specs. is 100% correct.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: