Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enjoying CW again after a decade away  (Read 2058 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »

Happy Holidays everyone.  I have been wanting to come on here to share my experiences as of late with simple CW gear.  I have been using a Rockmite and CRK-10 on 40m for a little over a month, and since then, I have noticed how not only has my skill returned, but improved.  It's uniquely bizarre, that I was a bit rusty for a day or two...but now I'm back up to 20 WPM without too many issues. 

Also, I started using the built-in Iambic keyers in my rigs (Mode A) as opposed to using a bug or SpeedX straight key.  The Iambic has made CW so insanely fun, that I'm kinda sad that I never discovered Iambics YEARS ago.

For those that are using Iambics, which mode do you prefer?  I like the Mode A personally...Mode B seems kind of confusing to me.

John KB2HSH
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »

Hi,

Welcome back to CW !

I'm trying to relarn the code atfer i pass the code right before they drop the code i use to memorize the code real good and now i'm rusty all get out i kept saying relearn the code i never pick back up, so on jan 2013 i'm back and relearn the code and this time going to stay top of it ! for good :-)

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming since 2001
General Lic since 2007
Pass the code since 2006 right before they drop the code !
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »

Welcome back to ham radio after 10 years. I don't use A or B. It would make it difficult to go between the keyer and the bug.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

I'm honestly not sure which mode I'm using.  My keyer has 10 "emulation modes", three of which have an "A" in the description.  None of them mention anything about "B".  (it's a kit-built CMOS-4 from idiom press)  If I had to guess, Id say I'm  running "A" mode.

I like to use iambic wherever I can.  I've heard folks say that they don't like it.  I've read long treatises explaining how iambic is actually slower than slap keying, and all the world speed champions eschew iambic mode.  That's all well and good.  I just think it's fun.

I also use the forced letter space timing on the keyer.  I really like that feature. 

All that being said, I still use my old bug more than I do my paddles.  Once again, it's fun.  kinda like playing a banjo Smiley

73 mike
N2IW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »

I'm honestly not sure which mode I'm using.  My keyer has 10 "emulation modes", three of which have an "A" in the description.  None of them mention anything about "B".  (it's a kit-built CMOS-4 from idiom press)  If I had to guess, Id say I'm  running "A" mode.

Hi Mike,

I use CMOS-4 too, it is really a great keyer! I believe mulation modes V0-V5 are Mode B, and V6-V8 are Mode A.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:20:02 AM »

For those that are using Iambics, which mode do you prefer?  I like the Mode A personally...Mode B seems kind of confusing to me.

I hadn't realised there were different ways, 'til I ended up with a radio that gave me a choice. Took me a while to figure out that I think I'm used to A, but I don't find B that confusing. The CW weight is a lot more troublesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: