Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile operations and Bluetooth  (Read 3066 times)
VE3LNY

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

Does anyone know of a 2 meter or 2M/440 mobile radio with bluetooth built in? I have been expecting (hoping?) to see this for some time now. The manufacturers still produce rigs with microphones with all the controls on the mic, even if you implement your own bluetooth solution you can't control the rig without it. We're past due for a change in thinking about how mobile rigs are used.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:09 AM »

How much BT do you want? Yaesu has a few radios with Bluetooth audio profiles, but that's about it. Jabra used to make an adapter for phones without bluetooth that was easy to modify (I had one until I accidentally connected the wrong charger and let the smoke out), but it hasn't been available for years now.

I'm looking forward to seeing a BT enabled "black box" that I can control with my Android phone and ties into the car's bluetooth system. But I know I've got a long, long wait for that day.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »

yaesu has one mobile rig for motorcycles use that does blu tooth ( FTM - 10  and FTM -350AR)  and also the vx 8 dr  series does the blu tooth.  type in the code 0000 to use with a typical cell Blu tooth.
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »

I use the FTM-10R with the BU-2 Bluetooth module in my small plane to interface with my Lightspeed Zulu headsets that have integrated Bluetooth.  This setup saved me a lot of trouble and expense, by not requiring me to connect through the audio panel in the plane.  It works well.  I have the radio configured to allow me to press the Bluetooth button on the headset control to key the microphone.  The microphone stays keyed until I press the Bluetooth button again.

I don't particularly like the programming and general cryptic operation of the FTM-10R.  I have never operated the FTM-350AR.  If you go with one of these radios, make sure you get the newer BU-2 Bluetooth module.  Users were having trouble connecting to Bluetooth devices, other than the Yaesu accessory items, with the original Bluetooth module.  You can install the Bluetooth module in either the head or the body of the radio in the FTM-10R.

I use several Bluetooth devices, including Bluetooth printers, mice, and GPS receivers.  Bluetooth is an obvious technology to use for doing away with microphone cords, etc.

Terry, NZ5E
VE3LNY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Terry. The FTM-350AR is a bit pricey for me. The FTM-10R says "bluetooth coming soon". I'll keep an eye on it. At least there is some movement in the bluetooth department. After all you could connect a bluetooth headset to a mobile phone for years. With all the "hands free" regulations coming into effect there should be a big demand for this. 73, Jack
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »

One of the issues with bluetooth is that it doesn't handle the PTT function very well.  There is some latency in the switching of several hundred milliseconds, and, as described by NZ5E, the PTT is a push-on push-off button on the headset; that's not the most convenient feature, especially if one wears a helmet.

Bluetooth used with a full-duplex device, i.e., a cell phone, doesn't have this issue.

I also have an FTM-10 for motorcycle use, but my installation will still be wired.

There's gotta be a better way, but from what I've observed, it ain't bluetooth at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: