Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting PC Clock from Internet  (Read 2142 times)
KB3MDT

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

Hi,
   I'm having some problems manually setting my PC's time from the Internet.  I'm using Windows 8, but have had the same problems with another PC on Windows 7.  I've tried the built in functionality of Windows and with Dimension 4 Software to set the time.    Most of the time I cannot connect to the Time Server.  I have tried several time servers including time.nist.gov and time.windows.com.   I usually get an error messages similar to:  "An error occurred while windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov", "The peer is unreachable", "The operation returned because the timeout period expired", "Permission Denied", etc.   I don't think its my PC as it eventually works.  Rather, I'm guessing the Time Servers are over taxed or my Internet Connection is "burping".   I've seen this over the course of several weeks, multiple PCs, multiple Time Servers and multiple software.  All have been from the same internet connect, but its reliable for everything else.

Any thoughts?  Do you see similar problems?   Also, several folks recommend Dimension 4 over the native functionality in Windows.   I've never seen anything that says Dimension 4 is more accurate.  Have you?    Note, I'm setting the PC's time for JT-65 and for listening to beacons.   Thanks. 

Ken
KB3MDT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »

Time will not be synchronized if it is too soon after the last synchronization or if the computer time is too far off from the actual time. Often when I get an error I can select a new time server and synchronize to that.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »

hi Ken,

try one of the servers listed on the NIST site

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

these are the most current along with their status.

we use the time utility within windows to sync the time.

73 james
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »

I'm having some problems manually setting my PC's time from the Internet.  I'm using Windows 8, but have had the same problems with another PC on Windows 7.  I've tried the built in functionality of Windows and with Dimension 4 Software to set the time.    Most of the time I cannot connect to the Time Server.  I have tried several time servers including time.nist.gov and time.windows.com

Ken,
NTP protocol utilizes the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) on port 123.  Check your firewall & make sure you can reach a time server on port 123.

If it turns out your ISP is blocking port 123, another option is a local GPS clock connected to one of your computers via a USB/serial port.  

Parallax makes a unit with a native serial port (SKU 28500), that retails for about $40.00

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »

How about using WWV or other radio time server, in conjunction with a little piece of software called, "Radio Clock"?

At present Radio Clock can decode the following time signals:

LF transmissions       
North America WWVB 60 kHz Boulder Colorado (see note)
Europe MSF 60 kHz Anthorn England
Europe DCF77 77.5 kHz Mainflingen Germany

HF transmissions       
Asia RWM 4996, 9996, 14996 kHz Moscow Russia (not coded)
USA WWV 2500, 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 kHz Boulder Colorado
Hawaii WWVH 2500, 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 kHz Hawaii
Canada CHU 3330, 7335, 14670 kHz Canada

Or, buy a $15 GPS dongle and use any one of the free programs for that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: