Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with ant suggestion  (Read 1873 times)
KJ4JQU

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »

Hello all, haven't been on the HF airwaves for awhile because of a job and move change, but now finally wanting to get back into it. My setup is a kenwood ts430, mfj ant tuner , pwoer supply,and an alpha delta dx-ee dipole. I am posting a link to a photo of my property. Please look at the photo for reference and you will see my concerns.
The black line is the main power line houses tap into.
The red lines are the power lines running to the houses.
The Yellow lines are my gutters.
And The Blue line is the proposed route of an antenna from my brick chimney to a tree in my yard. Here is the photo:
http://tinyurl.com/adkc4jl

Wife acceptance factor is key here so please keep that in mind. I cannot put up any tower or mount anything on the roof. I had thought of possibly using a vertical but there are a lot of kids running around this neighborhood and dont want to take any chances, also it would be surrounded by homes and I think that would kill performance...Add to that , if it was any height it could possibly fall into the power lines-I live in tornado ally here in chattanooga. Because I cant put up a mast in the middle I cant create an inverted V.
Here are some questions:
Will my alpha delta work if kept horizontal?
Using a center feed is not ideal because of a lack of support and the feed line will be visible from out back deck which lowers the WAF even more. Is an end feed my best option?
Like mentioned previously I haven't been on air in about 2 years. I would love to make contacts in europe so if one particular antenna is better then another for that, please keep in mind.
Also I would like to be able to tx in the day and evening. What bands are best nowadays.
Thanks so much for reading the incredibly long post and any help you have to offer.
73's KJ4JQU
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »

Quote from: KJ4JQU
Will my Alpha Delta DX-EE work, IF kept horizontal?
You are "over thinking" your situation.  
Power line considerations are important, and you appeared to address those safety issues and
 find best place to fit and erect the DX-EE antenna.
This is a good antenna for limited space to operate on 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.
40 meters will be narrow, in bandwidth, due to shortened length to fit the available space.

As long as your distance is ~ 40 feet between tree and house attachment (brick chimney), you are fine.
READ and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ... put it up and enjoy.
Your coaxial feed will likely be in "free space", that will need to be routed to your coaxial cable entrance feed-through.

The coaxial cable entrance is a good spot for grounding and lightning protection.
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/grounding-and-lightning-protection
White Paper
http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/Lightning%20Protection-Rev3.pdf

Lightning Protection for the Amateur Radio Station
August 2002, QST
by Ron Block, KB2UYT
http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/lightning%20protection%20p3.pdf

Alpha Delta DX-EE Antenna
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxee_ii.htm

Refer to Figure No. 1:
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/images/dxee_1.jpg

The DX-EE may be installed as in inverted vee, flat top dipole, sloping dipole, etc.
The inverted vee configuration seems to be the easiest for most amateurs to utilize. It has several benefits, such as requiring but a single central support structure for the DX-EE center insulator.
A SLOPER or FLAT TOP are suitable installations, as shown in figure 1.

Remember, the Alpha Delta DX-EE was designed for compromise installations where there are space limitations.
A little thought will allow the DX-EE to be installed in spaces normally thought to be too small for an antenna for these frequency bands!
==
Alpha-Delta DX-EE Antenna
January 2012 QST -- Short Takes
by Steve Ford, WB8IMY
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pdf/DX-EE%20Jan%20QST-1.pdf
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:07:49 PM by W9GB » Logged
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »

Wife acceptance factor is key here so please keep that in mind. I cannot put up any tower or mount anything on the roof.

Methinks your problem is not antennas. Smiley

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
KJ4JQU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the help guys! And yes that pesky WAF gets in the way but she broke out of her cage, what can I do lol?! What bands are hot now in the afternoon and evening?
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

What bands are hot now in the afternoon and evening?

The WishABand was hot today.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KB4XV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

How high can you get it? If you can get it over 30' high it should work fine. If needed you could attach a small fiberglass pole to the chimney to get a little more height. You could tie it to the chimney with a thin nylon rope in the mortar joints so it would blend in somewhat.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »

I had thought of possibly using a vertical but there are a lot of kids running around this neighborhood and dont want to take any chances, also it would be surrounded by homes and I think that would kill performance...Add to that , if it was any height it could possibly fall into the power lines-I live in tornado ally here in chattanooga.

In one sentence you proclaim all your self inflicted restrictions with a flattop, then you arbitrarily shoot down your next best candidate for a decent antenna, a vertical.  No kid is going to bother your vertical, and any impact structures might have on performance are a lot less than having no antenna at all.  In a tornado, the least of your worries are what happens to an antenna.

You're suffering from analysis paralysis.  Put an antenna up - any antenna - and you're cured. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »

Slip a length of large diameter plastic pipe or downspout over a ground-mounted
vertical to protect little fingers from RF burns.

Looks like you could put the feedpoint on the chimney, run one side to the tree
in the back yard as you proposed, and run the other side to the tree in the
front yard.  Or to the far corner of the roof.  If you use thin wire these would
be nearly invisible.

You could put up a loop from the chimney to the tree you proposed, to the next
tree to the left, then back to the chimney.

There are a number of end-fed designs you could try, including an inverted L fed
against ground.

If you really don't want something outside, put a dipole in the attic.

Beyond that, it may help to define your limitations more clearly.  For example, is it
the action of installing an antenna on the roof, or the visibility of the antenna that
prohibits that option?  If you can't have a tower, what about a push-up mast
secured to the eaves of the house in an inconspicuous place?  Not all antennas
look like antennas, or like what many people think antennas look like.

I helped a friend put up a wire loop on his roof, mostly tucked under the shingles.
Even though the wire ran across an open space outside an upstairs window, his
wife hadn't noticed it 3 months later.  (She had been out shopping when we did it.)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »

Thanks for the help guys! And yes that pesky WAF gets in the way but she broke out of her cage, what can I do lol?! What bands are hot now in the afternoon and evening?
Put her back IN the cage  Cheesy
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »

Put her back IN the cage  Cheesy

I solved the problem by owning the property first, installing and erecting ham stuff, then choosing a loving, caring XYL whose goal is to keep me happy.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: