Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: copper lined rain gutter as dipole?  (Read 5463 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Is it possible for you to tack/staple  thin wire to the top edge of the gutter?

If gutter is copper lined this is pointless.

How about connecting that wire to the ends of the copper lining, creating a folded dipole? Then accumulated leaves and water won't have that much impact (the debris will just act like birds on a wire, not shorting anything out). 
N1NI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »

Interesting idea (folded dipole). Is it less sensitive to surrounding environmental conditions (ice, snow, leaves, moisture)?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

Interesting idea (folded dipole). Is it less sensitive to surrounding environmental conditions (ice, snow, leaves, moisture)?

No more than a dipole but they do tend to be a bit quieter.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:13:18 AM »

42 years of marriage, well you are doing something right (coming from a guy who has been married 32 years)

However I do not understand your wife's logic of wanting copper lining in those wood gutters. No one is going to see the copper lining so why go to that expense? (It has to be costly to form that copper lining into the gutter, along with the expense of the copper)

Personally I would line them with vinyl and then use wire for the antenna as others have suggested. By doing that you will not have a joint in the lining as you will if you split the copper lining. And vinyl is going to outlast you (I hope you make it to 172 but ................... Grin)

Good luck either way you go.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: