Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help...  (Read 5699 times)
KE7EYX

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »

Took a break from the radio world as more important things came up and finally slowly getting back into it. Where I'm at there few and far aprs digipeaters an igates. The nearest to me is located 40-60 miles away on a mtn top. All I have is a 5w TH-D7A and needless to say it can not "cry loud enough" to be heard by the nearest digipeater, unless your running a radio with 20w or better witch I don't have. Have looked round an can come up with 3 solutions how to solve the problem

1. Put up a fill-in digipeater
2. Build and put own igate
3. buy a mobile capable of aprs - Too costly

Do have everything to do option 1 or 2. What would be the better particle way to go???
BG2US

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »

Do you have  the others solutions how to solve the problem?

1. Put up an antenna outdoor in height place.

2. DIY or buy A POWER AMPLIFIER, use your 5w promote to 25w.

you can 1 and 2 try it.

BG2US

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,87222.0.html

Please read the article. Attention wb6byu answer.

K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »

Building an i-gate would require at least a pc, sound-card interface, and a receiver, so that could be cheaper than a mobile rig, if you already have that stuff lying around.

A digipeater would require a radio and a TNC, of some sort so I don't know that would be any cheaper than a mobile rig (in that you would probably need the same time of radio to reach the igate on the mountain to repeat the signal as you would to originate the signal.

IMO, the cheapest solution would be raising your antenna outside and/or putting up a gain antenna. Building a broomstick yagi costs practically nothing (using a broomstick and some wire coat hangers) and should provide sufficient gain to reach the mountain top you mentioned. You could feed it with some RG-6 (CATV) coax which is also practically free. You'll get a slightly higher VSWR, but if you're looking for a bargain solution, I'm hard-pressed to think of a cheaper way to improve your VHF signal.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »

As already suggested, antenna height, and gain to a lesser extent, is always good for VHF/UHF reception and transmitting.  Can't get around that, it's just the way it is.
I use one of the Bionic's products for mobile APRS, it works.  At least one aspect of that 'works' thingy is the terrain you operate from.  'Flat' places tend to mean you have more 'range' than 'bumpy' places.  It isn't something to count on, but that mobile transmitter has had quite a long range at times (150 - 200 miles as a guess).  Other times, not so long range, does good further than just 'local', you know?  (That's something like 7 - 10 watts and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna, YMMV naturally.)
I-gates.
They are one-way thingys, RF to internet.  That means that for you to show up on your screen you have to have an internet connection and use "APRS.FI" or a similar site to see your self.  If there's not much APRS traffic in your area, it may not be worth the effort.  That's your decision.
If you've only got that HT, you can set up a digipeater, but that's sort of difficult without taller antennas, and then it's a matter of "so who'z gonna see it".  Another 'up to you' thingy.  Digipeaters certainly are handy!  But they are also usually a 'dedicated' radio, don't count on using it for anything else.  The 'other part' of digipeating is that it requires some place to set the thing up.  If you don't have a high spot, then you are going to have to find one and 'talk' them into letting you put one there.  (Anyone around you have a repeater site you could use??)
I think APRS is fun, useful for a number of reasons, and not all -that- expensive (relative).  I'm not trying to talk you out of doing any of this, just be aware that it can get more complicated than you'd originally thing.
Have fun.
 - 'Doc

(Never said I had good sense/cents... especially the last part.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: