Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two dits?  (Read 1681 times)
KQ6UP

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:14:47 PM »

What are the two dits that ops send at the end of a QSO?

Is this the same as TU?

Chris KQ6UP
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:25:08 PM »

Back when I started out, it was common for folks to send the old "shave and a hair cut" (dit di-di dit dit) at the end of a QSO, and the other station would send "two bits" (dit dit).  Over time this has been shortened to the dit-dit you hear now.

Phil - AD5X
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

Oh, that makes sense.  I used to do that -- the whole shave and a haircut thing when I was a young ham, but they used to not do the two bit part unless you did the shave and a haircut thing first.   That makes sense, just omit the first part ;o)
AB2KT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »

Despite lore to the contrary, this doesn't seem to be a ham thing.

Check out
http://www.radiomarine.org/tales.html
If you look at the transcripts there, you'll see that EE (dit dit) was universal among commercial marine CW ops.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »

Even more fascinating is that when I first was licensed over 40 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for "phone" operators (AM) at the end of a QSO and their final transmission to say, "diddle-di-dah-di-dah," thus voicing out the dits and dahs to make "SK."

I used to think that was hilarious.

WB2WIK/6
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »

That maritime site is awesome.  I also did a little study on the titanic.  Very fascinating history.

Chris KQ6UP
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

Speaking of maritime radio traditions read also: Jeffery Herman's (KH6O, formerly KH2PZ) tales of working as radio operator on 500 kc at NMO (USCG radio station, Honolulu, HI) in the late 1970's.

http://www.radiomarine.org/tales.html

E E
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »

That was the same website I was referring to by an earlier poster.  ;o)

Chris KQ6UP
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »

Think of it this way.  You have been over to your buddy's house.  Couple of beers, watched the game, talked about "wimmin."   Now you are backing out of the driveway in your car, and he is on the front steps of his house.  As you drive away, you give a final wave of the hand.

That's the 'two dits.'   It is that final wave on CW.  That final toot of the horn as you drive away from the beach party.  

Ed
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »

You're right Chris! D'oh!
Shame on me for not looking closer.

E E
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »

According to my old ham buddy, Lyle/W9FCX, who is a WW2 retiree, the two dits were used in both commercial and military traffic nets to signify "I am not going to send anymore" or the end of the communication.
Lyle and I keep a sked M/W/F on 7.024 in the mornings and we run CW at about 70 wpm. Lyle is now 83 years old since he started counting his birthday's backwards!

My being ONLY 68 years old, I can not verify that!

Tom - W4BQF
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 06:11:40 AM »

I use the "dit dit" most of the time but what does "shave and a hair cut" refer to?  I've only been doing CW since Jan 2007 so I'm still learning the lingo.

Mike
WU1E

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »

Ressurecting an ancient thread here.

According to the FISTS website: At the end of the QSO, one op would send dit dit and then the other would just send dit.

I only hear, and so far have only done, dit dit by both ops. Is that pretty standard practice or does that rank right up there incorrectly saying 73's (Best Regardses) ?

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

A Shave and a Haircut
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »

When I was a Novice (during late 1959), I recall hearing the "Shave and a Haircut (ese) being used to initiate QSO's, sort of an unidentified CQ call.  A station (remember we were all crystal-controlled back then) would send "ese" until another station would respond with "ee." Then the initiating station would send "de" followed by his/her callsign, and a QSO was underway.  

Of course, no one today would admit to such foolishness; even then it was considered somewhat "liddish" behavior, but it was harmless enough.  It was pretty entertaining to hear on the 40m novice band!

Chuck  NI0C  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: