The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Expedition HF antenna install  (Read 944 times)
K9AP

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »

I'm close to buying a used Ford Expedition and am looking for advice on where to install a HF antenna. I haven't really decided on what kind of antenna, but I am leaning toward the screwdriver type. I have looked at the K0BG website for information, but would still like some user input in case anyone has already faced this same install question - where is the best place to locate it?
thanks for your ideas and opinions.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »

It would help everyone if you'd give us an idea if you're into drilling holes? And perhaps the screwdriver you're looking at buying.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »

am looking for advice on where to install a HF antenna.
 where is the best place to locate it?

Top dead center of the roof.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:41 AM »

Probably a bad location for a couple reasons.

First it will be too high and hit a LOT of overhead stuff. Depending on the screwdriver you select and the whip length you could be at 14 ft real easily. The Expedition and mount puts the base of the antenna at at least 7 feet and the better screwdrivers -- larger coil = better performance and longer whip = better performance that will be at least another 7 feet. Anyone who ever drove an RV with 12'6 required (a common size) knows there are lots of things to hit. Even with a shock spring the screwdriver coil and mount will take a mechanical beating. You'll pretty much ban yourself from any parking deck in the country, airport terminal access roads, etc. Removal of the antenna will be hard from that location (tou'll need a step ladder and have to half lay on the roof to do it) and still leave the mount sticking up 7 or 8 feet which is a constant thing to watch for.

Second the mechanical stress requires a solid mount. The roof steel is flat and not all that thick -- so you'll need a backing plate to distribute the stress from the mount. Won't be easy to do that plus the coax plus the 12V motor wire without tearing the headliner out and even if you do there will be a "lump" that someone who bounced up (like in a collision) could cause serious head injury. True -- there is no easy way to have a wreck -- but why add to the injury potential?
K4LIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:58:02 AM »

I'm using the Alpha MOTO vertical on my 2003 Expedition and 2010 E-150 van, using the mounting bracket Alpha sells and am very pleased with the results.  Good luck with your install.  73 de Jim, K4LIX
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »

Probably a bad location for a couple reasons.

Of course.  But without any constraints or requirements from the OP, the first order answer is all one can really offer without inserting likely arbitrary or user-specific constraints.  It was intended to spur a discussion of what the OP really needed, rather than just what is "best" since what is "best" for him is likely not the same as anyone else no matter how well it may work.  The internet (and K0BG's site) is full of photos showing all manner of HF mobile installs so even a cursory search would yield many possibilities.  With that resource available he asked here what was "best", so that's what I offered.   Once he comes up with a list of likes and must haves, we can offer specifics that allow him to achieve his goal and not what we did to reach ours.  This is along the lines of knowing where you want to go before you get in the car and start driving.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:12:32 AM »

Thanks for the plug Mark.

But, this thread gives me the idea that bringing back the old Maxx-Com antenna, because it would sell like hotcakes. Always a low SWR! No tuner needed! Instant band change! Etc.!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: