Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frustrated with JT65-HF  (Read 6909 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

I spent all night trying to get my packets decoded by others to find out it seems to be related to my 'onboard' sound card that I've always used for SSTV on VHF.  I tried my Creative Labs Audigy card and surpise.. my packets get decoded..

but anyway.. my real problem.. JT65-HF seems to have it's own ideas about what Jt65 timing is... if I try to answer a CQ, it will send the first tx, on schedule. (odd or even minute) and about 1 second in.

the problem is.. when it's done with that TX, the program will freeeze up, and then just as it unfreezes, it will start TX'ing AGAIN, about 14 seconds into the wrong minute. 

clock is synched up with Dimenson4 (even tried TimeSync) .. I can decode packets ok.. I can send my FIRST tx ok.. but after that it just all goes to heck... I'm stumped.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »

What operating system? Do you have to kill the program and restart, or is a reboot required?
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »

Doesn't seem like a JT-65 issue but more an issue with your CPU getting bogged down.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »

Here are a couple of things to try:

1) Is RF getting into your computer?  Transmit into a dummy load; if the problem goes away, it's RF.  (If you don't have a dummy load, lower the tx power by turning down the tx audio going into your transceiver.)

2) Is your computer too slow to handle the job?  If you're just listening to signals, how long does it take for the software to decode received signals?  If the signals aren't decoded by 55-56 seconds after the start of the minute, your CPU is too slow.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

ok, I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Pentium-4 3.00gHZ (Hyperthread, not dual core) with 3gb of ram.

I don't THINK it's an RF issue, since I run 100w on SSB all the time with no issues that I've noticed, and I'm only running 20w or so on JT65.

I don't have to kill the program, only the JT65 program comes to a standstill, the rest of the O.S is ok.

I guess I can try using the dummy load inside the tuner...
maybe I'll try sending on 2m fm with about 5watts and see if I have the same issues. (using my Jetstream JTB-3 (X50 clone))

I tried WSTJ6, and it was able to obey the jt65 timing ok, but it seems infinitely more complicated to use...

I'm using a Kenwood TS-140s, MFJ-949d VersaTuner II, 40m dipole, and a home-made interface box that I've used on vhf with MMSSTV for years with no issues.
oddly enough, that other sound card works great for SSTV.. just not JT65... hrm.

thanks for the help guys :>
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »

I struggled with my JT65, laptop USB adapter, and Omni-VII for three weeks before I finally got everything working correctly.  I found that there were three sources of equipment conflicts:  sound card settings, my Omni-VII menu settings for triggering the TX/RX, and the timing clock.  Since they interact, you might have to spend a lot of time trying out various combinations of settings until you get something that works.  When it does, write down all settings so you can return to them later.  Watch your screen and verify that the TX is NOT starting before the red line appears.  TX should begin within one or two seconds after 00:00.  Since you said the first TX gets completed and then it begins transmitting again, it is possible that the sounds are re-triggering the VOX-TRIP circuit.  Lower the LINE GAIN to zero and lower the VOX-TRIP to zero.  Trigger an automatic CQ and increase the VOX-TRIP until the TX begins.  Make note of this setting.  Next, increase LINE IN until the ALC starts to flicker.  Make note of this setting.  Without increasing the power, see if the problem has gone away.  If it still exists, adjust the ANTI-VOX settings from low to higher and see if there is a setting that makes the problem go away.  (You might also try running these tests while using headphones just as a precaution.)  Since repeated trials are going to be required, I suggest that you use a dummy load during the testing.  Hope this helps.  73, Tom, W4OEQ
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »

to what VOX settings are you referring? I do not use VOX.  I use a RS-232 ComPort trigger.  (usb to com port cable)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »

i think I found the problem..  Apparently I had a stack of JunkWare that got installed w/o my knowledge and it was causing some issues with windows.   I blew out out a bunch of stuff that had no business being in there, and so far it's working ok.

I tried JT65-hf running on it's own, with no radio at all, just using the default sound card.. worked ok. t ried it with the secondary card, no problem.. now I'm trying it with all rf power set to low as it will go into the dummy load and we'll see what happens
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

With my Omni, I use VOX to trigger TX.  Different rigs use different approaches. Sounds like you have solved the issue.  73, Tom, W4OEQ.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »

after some googling, it looks like the general consensus is that the SigmaTel STAC sound card simply does not work with JT65.

I've been using my SB Audigy SE and have been racking up the contacts *shrug*
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »

A few useful tips that are not readily apparent to Windows users: (and don't seem to get posted much)

1) When the system slows down, do a CTRL-ALT-DEL (simultaneous) and bring up the Task Manager. This works on every version of Windows. Click the Performance tab and look at CPU and memory usage. Then inspect the Processes tab and see which process is loading the system down. It is quite another issue to determine what process is attached to what task, but at least you will know if you have a CPU/program issue or what. As you gain experience, you can eventually decipher what programs have installed junk tasks that are useless and CPU-hogs and either remove them or kill the offending task.

2) Download a current copy of the little CCleaner utility. After installation there are some tabs on the left of it's interface. Start at the top and let the program analyze and fix the junk file issues it uncovers. No need to save the files about to be deleted. Next, let CCleaner examine your registry. Tell it to repair all the issues it discovers. It would be a wise idea to let it save a copy of the registry before doing this, but I have never found I needed the backup. Finally examine the Startup tab (under the TOOLS tab) and see what loads during bootup. Lots of junk gets loaded sometimes and these only slow down the system. Restart the computer after this.

3) Run the Disk Defragmenter utility found in START -> PROGRAMS -> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS. This defragmentation will take a while, but will help you get your computer running as fast as it can go. If your system HDD has less than 30-40% free space, consider adding another HDD to free up some space (or a larger drive).

JT65 (and face it, everything you do on a computer) is time sensitive and everything that slows the system down will impact your enjoyment of JT65. I perform this little routine each week without fail - or whenever I sense the computer slowing down.

Sorry if this is all old hat.
Pete
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:20:24 AM by AE5J » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: